Chapter 32: Never let me go

Start from the beginning

My jaw hit the floor. "Oh my God..." I gasped.

He squeezed my hand. "It's a big opportunity for me, one that I have always dreamed of and worked for. I have kept it from you - from everyone, actually - for good luck." He swallowed. "Are you mad at me?"

I chuckled and hugged him, caressing his hair. "Sebastian, no!" I laughed. "How could I be mad?!" I kissed him. "I'm so proud of you!"

Sebastian seemed pretty surprised. "Are you?"

I hit him gently on the shoulder. "Of course I am! It's your dream coming true! I know how much you have worked to reach this goal. You deserve this!"

He smiled and took my face in his hands. "I love you so much, Lily Montgomery!"

I smiled, feeling happy and loved. Sebastian kissed me and we laid down together on the bed.

***

Felicity joined Sebastian and me on our flight to Boston. We were two hours into the trip, Sebastian, sat by the window, was sleeping, I was beside him listening to music and Felicity was reading a magazine. Two flight attendants, a man and a woman, approached us with a food cart.

"Would you like something to drink, ladies?" the steward asked with extreme politeness and a smile.

I removed my ear-buds. "Tea, please" I said. "Sugar and milk."

"Same for me" Felicity followed.

Knowing Sebastian, he would have probably slept for the entire duration of the flight, so I didn't bother to take something for him too.

The steward, always smiling, prepared our teas and handed one cup to Felicity and one to me. When I reached out to take my cup I noticed his nameplate and I froze. Tobias. My hand stopped, my eyes fixed on that nameplate.

"Miss?" the steward sounded confused.

"Lily?" Felicity said.

I blinked and shook my head. "Yes, sorry" I breathed and took the cup.

The flight attendants moved the food cart towards the row behind us. I sat back and took a deep breath.

"Are you okay?" my friend asked.

I grinned, feeling my face red. "Yes, I just... have headache" I replied. It was partially true, my head had begun to hurt the moment I set my eyes on that nameplate. I put milk and sugar in the cup of tea.

"Drink your tea and have a rest" Felicity suggested in a sweet tone.

I just grinned again and took a sip of tea. I decided to watch a movie and tapped on the screen in front of me to pick one. I chose Divergent, because I never had the chance to check it out, in spite of many talking nicely about it and the book it was based on. It went well for a good hour, until it was revealed that the main male character's real name was Tobias. My heart, stomach and head felt the pain at the same time. I pressed stop immediately and violently tore the ear-buds off my ears.

"Felicity, I need to go to the toilet."

"Oh." She closed her magazine and unfastened her seatbelt. "Sure."

She got up to let me pass and I basically ran in the hallway towards the toilet, where I vomited the tea that I had just drunk and my breakfast. I was feeling terrible. I spilled some fresh water on my face and neck and I looked at my reflection on the mirror. My eyes and face were so red that, in contrast, my hair looked almost blonde.

"Calm down" I whispered to my reflection. "It's nothing."

I returned to my seat and, when both Felicity and I were comfortable again, she asked "Lily, are you sure you are alright?"

Keeping my eyes closed, I shrugged. "I'm not used to long flights, that's all."

"Did you vomit?" I nodded and she paused. "Could you... be pregnant?"

I opened my eyes wide and I stared at her. "Felicity!" I exclaimed, keeping my voice down. I quickly turned towards Sebastian, who was still fast asleep, and back to her. "I'm. Not. Pregnant!"

"Relax" she replied, also keeping her voice down and glancing at Sebastian. "You're behaving strange, you're vomiting and your skin is glowing. I just assumed..."

"Well, you assumed wrong. I've been taking birth-control pills since when I started dating Sebastian and I kept taking it even during my amnesia. So, as you can see, it's not possible. I'm just a little... nervous."

"Lily" Felicity glanced at Sebastian one more time, to be sure he was really asleep, "stop thinking about Toby."

How come that she knew everything that was in my mind?!

"I wasn't thinking about Toby!" I snapped, sitting upright, my body turned towards her.

My eyes caught a movement beyond Felicity. A lady sitting in the row beside ours was turning the page of a book. A book by Tobias Wolff. I sat back, closing my eyes and panting.

Following my gaze, Felicity turned towards that lady, saw the book cover and chuckled. "Oh well, it might be a sign of destiny" she said, and started reading a new magazine, smirking.

***

When we arrived, made it past security controls and retrieved our baggage, Felicity turned towards Sebastian and me.

"Toby is waiting for me outside that door" she said, indicating the arrival exit, that many people were already walking through. "I think you two should wait five minutes before getting out, if you don't want to bump into him."

I swallowed. "Oh, okay."

"Alright" Sebastian said. "So, see you on Sunday!"

Felicity smiled and hugged him. "See you soon."

She hugged me. "Everything is gonna be alright" she whispered to my ear. "I promise."

I let her go and saw her walking through the doors, towards Toby. I found myself wanting with every fiber of my being to be in her place and, at the same time, not wanting it.