Basic "Need to Know" Terms

Basic Terms you might need to know (if you don't know already or feel like knowing more about coffee):

Carafe/Coffee Pot – an open-topped glass flask typically used for serving wine or water/a covered container with a spout, in which coffee is made or served.

Filtered or Drip Coffee – A method of brewing where coffee is placed into a paper filter and hot water is poured onto it allowing it to drip into the carafe below.

French Press Coffee – Coffee made with a french press brewer that uses a plunger to press the coffee to separate the finished drink from the coffee grounds.

Percolated Coffee – A brew method where hot water is cycled through the coffee grounds using gravity to reach the desired strength.

Turkish Coffee – A traditional coffee drink served in the Middle East, fine ground coffee is immersed in water allowing maximum foam to form.

Cold Brew Coffee – A method of brewing that doesn't use hot water. Instead, cold water and a longer period of time is used to create the finished cold coffee beverage.

Iced Coffee – Slightly different from cold brew coffee, iced coffee is prepared using a hot brew method and then cooled before serving.

Vacuum Coffee – A brew method using two chambers where vapor pressure and vacuum produce the final cup of coffee.

Robusta Coffee – Coffee made from the Coffea canephora plant, a sturdy species of coffee bean with low acidity and high bitterness.

Demerara Sugar – Partially refined light brown cane sugar coming originally from Guyana.

Demitasse Cup – A small cup used to serve Turkish coffee or espresso. It is typically half the size of a full coffee cup.

Steamed Milk – The end result of milk being exposed to high pressured steam from an espresso machine. It is made by introducing steam gradually into milk until the natural fats within it expand to create 'micro-foam', a layer of very small milk bubbles.

Textured Milk – Aerating (also known as "stretching" in barista-speak) and emulsifying (also known as "texturing") milk. (Stretching the milk is introducing air to create foam.)

Sweetened Condensed Milk – Milk that is reduced by evaporation to a thick concentration, with sugar added.

Foamed Milk – Milk foamed using a steam wand on an espresso machine, used for making espresso-based coffee drinks.

Scalded Milk – Milk that is brought nearly to a boil and then cooled down.

-Fin