I took several deep breaths and put my phone back on the charger, only to jump back and scream at the top of my lungs.

There, on my nightstand, was the coin necklace I had thrown out the window of my car. I closed my eyes and started to pace again. "Why is this happening to me?" I could feel a headache coming on, and I rubbed my temples. "I threw that necklace out the window, I know for a fact I did. I threw it out the window!" I felt like I wanted to roll into a ball and scream my head off.

"Wait." I suddenly froze, and my eyes shot open. Was this the curse that the old woman was talking about?

"The curse..." I suddenly realized. I picked up the necklace and observed it carefully. "If you're causing this, you little shit, I swear I'll...."

This is what it had come to. Swearing out and threatening a necklace.

"Oh God, that old woman was right." I dropped the necklace on the ground and stepped back in horror. This necklace drives you crazy. With hallucinations of running people over with your car, ringing phones that weren't actually ringing, and hot naked men in your bathtub.

"Wait, she said anyone who owns the necklace is stuck with the curse... So if I throw it away, it won't be my problem anymore would it?" I smiled in relief to myself, quickly picking up the necklace and running downstairs, out the door and to the garbage bin on my driveway.

I opened the lid, and tossed the necklace inside. "Ha!" I laughed folding my arms. "You can't torment me if you're in there! I disown you, so you're not my problem anymore!"

I laughed to myself victoriously, but noticed something from the corner of my eye. I paused laughing, and looked over to the right.

My next door neighbor, Daryl, who had been watering his flowers, was looking over at me as if I'd grown a second head. My eyes widened, and I looked down at myself.

I was still wearing my towel. And I was talking to a necklace that was in a garbage bin.

"Oh God!" I hissed quietly to myself, covering myself with my hands, and smiled nervously at my next door neighbor. "G-Good morning Mr. Gonzalez..." I laughed dismissively as if nothing at all had happened.

He didn't reply, he only kept holding the hose over the rose bushes and kept gawking at my deranged state. "I see you're uh... Watering the flowers... Nice, nice... So uh, I happen to notice that they are kinda, drowning..." I gently hinted at the fact that he had been overwatering the roses since he was so distracted looking at me like I was crazy. "I think you should uh... You know what, I'm just gunna... Go." I smiled like the wreck I am once more, and ran quickly back inside my house.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

"Ms. Russo, you're late." My manager stood there calmly, crossing his arms as I was busy rolling up my sleeves and putting on my apron.

"I know Mr. Sinclair, and I'm sorry. I just had... A little incident this morning. But it's been taken care of, so it will be the last time I'm late, I promise!"

He stared at me sternly, and sighed in annoyance. "If you know your going to be late, you have to call in ahead of time. Do it again and you're fired." I looked down and nodded quietly.

Seemingly satisfied, he grumbled a few last words and marched back to his office. I know it's was my fault, so I can't complain.

And he has every right to fire me, it is his cafe after all. Yeah, I work at a little and slightly unpopular coffee cafe called Sinclair's. Other than the bad lighting, the cheesy coffee cup wallpaper, squeaky chairs and old tables, the coffee wasn't actually that bad.

"Seren, you decided to show up huh?" My co-worker Kylie bumped her hip against mine, and I rolled my eyes as I smiled. She was around my age so she was easy to befriend and talk to. I never see her outside work, but it's still fun to socialize with her during work.

She had straight dark orange hair and beautiful big brown doe eyes. I've never seen her go a day without make-up, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. She was the fine definition of beautiful. But when she saw my face, she looked over at me concerned.

"Oh my God Seren, look at your eyes!" She leaned in close and her eyes scanned mine. "You look like you haven't slept at all. Is something wrong?"

I gave her a halfhearted side smile, and she knew something was indeed wrong. "What happened?"

"It's nothing too important. But... Me and Ryan... Things didn't work out." I rubbed the back of my neck as I looked down. I felt ashamed to be telling her this. I always bragged to her about my 'perfect relationship' with Ryan. If we went on a date, she was informed. If we ever shared a romantic moment, she was also informed. Every little romantic detail she already knew, because I was the one bragging to her about it.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" She gave me a tight hug, and I returned it. "No, don't worry about it." I felt even more ashamed. I didn't want her pity. It was nice to have a shoulder to cry on, but to someone as beautiful as her, I probably seemed like a 'no wonder' case.

I even hid the fact that it was on our 5 year anniversary that we broke up.

"Hey Kylie, table number two's order is ready." A familiar male voice had called from the back, slamming down on the bell that stood on the counter connecting the kitchen to the cashier register's counter.

We both shared a look of awkwardness, and Kylie pulled away from our hug. "Well... This creates a nice atmosphere..." Kylie smiled at me awkardly, and I felt a singe of pain cross my heart. "Yeah..."

She turned away and grabbed the tray of expressos and walked past me giving me a 'I'm sorry' look. I knew I couldn't avoid this moment forever...

I'd have to face it eventually. "Oh, hi Seren..." The same voice called out to me, and I looked over my shoulder to see my ex-boyfriend smiling at me awkwardly, his work clothes already dirty with coffee stains.

Yes, that was the awkward confrontation I had been expecting. A very awkward run in with my ex-boyfriend, who also happened to be my goddamned co-worker. And also the man who had mercilessly broke my heart just the other day.

"Hey."