Chapter 3

---

The whole day of work was a daze. I kept fumbling with my ring for I am not quite used to it yet. So many questions race through my head, too fast to even process or think about. Should I have said yes? Or no? Did I make a mistake? Am I going to be stuck in a precipice for the rest of my life?

These questions worry me to the brink of madness. Work isn't even on my mind, only these questions. Also, Steve didn't come by, which made my day even more miserable and slow; he probably got caught up at work which doesn't bother me too much.

When the minute hand struck 9:30, I was saved. As quick as possible, I haul ass out of there and step out onto the sidewalk and let the cool breeze attempt to keep me at peace; I haven't been at peace since I was about 5-years-old.

I take a seat at the bus stop like always to rest my tired legs and to await my ride home. The cool air pulls my hair away from my face. I slightly shiver as it tickles my skin. My eyes shut and I brush away the thoughts coursing through my mind.

I take in the sound of the leaves caressing each other in the trees, the distant sounds of car horns going off, music from a nearby club, fallen leaves scurrying their way across the sidewalk, and the crickets chirping their lullabies and melodies to each other in the night.

I let these wonderful noises sooth my soul. My eyes open again and I feel refreshed even though those same questions and thoughts haunt the back of my mind.

Suddenly, an ominous figure turns the corner and is walking in the direction I am. With dark clothes and a hood to conceal their face, it is obvious that they are looking for trouble. Here I am out in the open and defenseless, once again calling for all rapists and murderers, there is a fresh woman here if you want!

Immediately, I rise to my feet and walk away from the creepy figure. All of those worries that were hiding in the back of my head return and burden my being. I steal a short and quick glance behind my shoulder to see the figure quickly approaching. Oh no. This is it, isn't it? A lump crawls its way up to my throat. I feel like crying and running away, but I am no wuss.

Then out of no where comes the roaring engine of a motorcycle. I turn to the left and see one slowing to the side of the road with a familiar person sitting atop it.

"Now, what is a pretty girl like yourself doing walking all alone at this time of night?" I grin and blush, thankful for the dark to hide it.

"Hey Steve."

"Need a lift?" He asks. Almost instantly, I stride to the bike and climb on behind Steve.

"Um... I have never done this before in my entire life." I confess honestly. Steve chuckles.

"It's okay, Delilah. Just hold on to me, I promise I won't go too fast. I'll protect you, you have my word." His words were as if an angel said them, but were sent from God; they comfort me and make me feel safe. Hold on. Stop. I am engaged for Christ's sake.

I hesitate, but surely, I wrap my arms around Steve's waist, of course my face turns as red as an apple. He revved the engine, and off we went. My stomach was left behind on the sidewalk and the rest of me speeds down the streets of Washington D.C. Out of anxiety, I bury my head into Steve's back and grip onto him for dear life.

"Don't cut me in half, Delilah." Steve shouts over the engine and rushing wind after a minute. I smile lightly. "Relax and enjoy it."

My muscles loosen up and so does my death grip on Steve's waist. I tilt my head back to the sky and see the stars that look so close I could almost reach out and touch them. So beautiful. I unlatch my grip from Steve entirely and slowly spread them outwards like a bird. I feel so free. My troubles are drained from my mind like an overflowing bathtub being taken of its water.