Chapter 11

---

Steve's POV

It's been about two weeks since Delilah's encounter with Cole at her house and her strength has been holding her up so far.

My feelings for her have only intensified. My thoughts never stray from her beautiful face. She appears every night in my dreams; her shining face replacing my nightmares. Every day I look forward to the end of work so I can see her. I stay up until she comes home, nervously pacing the floor wondering if she's okay.

Whenever I am around her, butterflies engulf my stomach and I can't seem to speak; she always manages to take my breath away and she never even knows it. I want to ask her to dinner sometime, but I never think it's the right time; that or I am just too much of a coward to do so.

I pull up in front of Aurora's daycare and climb out of the car. After walking up the steps to the house, I raise my clenched fist and knock on the door. A young girl no older than 14 with long amber blond hair opens the door that I believe to be the owner's younger sister. When her dark blue eyes meet mine, they widen slightly and switch her gaze elsewhere.

"M-May I help you?" She stutters as her face brightens with a smile.

"I'm here to pick up Aurora." I say politely.

"Today they walked to the park about a block from here."

"Oh, okay. Thanks. I'm Steve, by the way." I extend my hand for her to take.

"Savanna." She takes my hand and gives it a gentle shake.

She steps back and nibbles on the inside of her lip and looks back down at the ground as the color in her cheeks deepen in color. My eyes shift to her attire as she folds her arms across her chest: her shirt had my shield imprinted on it. She knows who I am.

I touch my pockets to feel for a piece of scratch paper and pen. I pull them out and scribble my signature across it and hand it to her. Savanna's face brightens further and her magnificently straight and white teeth glint. I open my arms and she hurries into my embrace. After parting, she thanks me and I wave goodbye to her.

Delilah asked me if it was okay that I picked up Aurora since I got off earlier than her. So, every day this week, I would pick her up. The first day or so kind of awkward, for Aurora hadn't warmed up to me quite yet. But the next day, she would not stop talking to me which kind of caught me off guard. And I am pleased to say that we have developed a strong bond.

I slow to a stop in front of the park that Savanna spoke of. I kill the engine of the car and step out. I watch as Aurora is playing Duck, Duck, Goose with the other kids. She tries to hold in her laughter as a little boy waddles around the circle while touching the tops of the other's heads/

When he gets to Aurora, he shouts: "Goose!" and breaks into a sprint. She immediately rises to her feet and chases after him in attempt to tag him. Her laughter fills the air, her smile is blinding, and her eyes roll back slightly when the boy sits down in her spot. She is now it.

She trots around the circle; the other children smiling wide, trying to hold back their fits of laughter and excitement. Her small hands tapping the tops of the other's heads. When her hand touches another girl's head, she breaks into a sprint around the circle.

Hearing her laugh sends shivers down my spin. Seeing those beautiful eyes that she takes from Delilah glint with happiness steals my breath from my lungs. Seeing her happy makes me smile wide, fills my heart with joy, and brings tears to my eyes. This is what it must feel like to have a child.

The daycare teacher bends down next to Aurora and whispers in her ear. Aurora's gaze is directed to me, and the heart-melting smile appears. The teacher hands Aurora a piece of paper, and then Aurora runs across the green grass to me. My smile widens from ear to ear as I kneel down and wait for her to come to me.