CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

Start from the beginning

I dusted myself off and watched as he threw most of the remaining rocks into the water, before crouching down to dip his hand into it. 

"Seems safe enough,"  he confirmed, skimming a small rock across the waters gleaming surface. 

I rolled my eyes and bent down to pick up my daggers but was immediately lifted off the ground by Shade, I screamed out in surprise and clung on to his shirt as he threw me easily over his shoulder and ran full speed towards the lake. 

"Don't you dare!"  I screamed threateningly, but it was too late. 

He leapt off the rocky ledge without hesitation, causing us to both plummet into the cold water. I  instinctively moved my arms to swim to the water's surface but became tangled with Shade since the idiot had forgotten to throw me off him before we pierced the water. 

After pushing him off me I burst through the water's surface and took in a big gulp of air, coming face to face with an annoyingly smug Shade.

"Idiot!" I shouted, sending a huge splash of water in his direction to consume him. 

He dodged its blast and shook his head at me innocently as his smirk grew.  I laughed lightly and swam quickly towards him, throwing myself on top of him in order to dunk him under the water, we crashed under the surface and separated before we both re-emerged in a fit of laughter.

"Mission accomplished"  laughed Shade triumphantly. 

"What?" I questioned, pushing a strand of my drenched hair from my face. 

"You're smiling" he chuckled gleefully. 

I splashed him in the face again before I swam to the edge of the lake where I could stand, it was surprisingly hard to swim fully clothed and in boots.

"Well, as much as I would love to stay here," I started while pulling myself out of the lake "let's get some water and go" I finished, feeling slightly guilty for enjoying myself when Chase was suffering.

Shade reluctantly followed me out of the lake and watched as I removed my cloak and wrung it dry, he watched what I was doing in entertainment, letting out small chuckles now and again as I struggled to dry my clothes. 

"Is something funny?" I asked, turning to look at his amused face.

"You do realise that we have basic control over the elements right?" he questioned while shaking his head.

"So...?" I replied cluelessly.

He muttered something under his breath and took my cloak from me, he laid it out in front of him and sat with his hands hovering over it. 

"Watch and learn" he mocked, winking at me before closing his eyes. 

I moved closer to him and watched in amazement as small droplets of water started lifting from the material to form a long chain of water that circled Shade, growing in length as more water was extracted. He moved his right hand towards the lake and directed his palm at the waters, causing the chain to flow back into the oasis. 

"Try it with me," said Shade as he got to his feet "like the darkness, just picture what you want the water to do" he explained, closing his eyes to regain his focus. 

I held my hands out and concentrated on making the water move, the water instantly obeyed my instruction and flowed out of my clothes, making a bigger chain that flowed around both me and Shade. 

"Good" praised Shade as he directed the water back into the lake. 

I grabbed my cloak off the floor and wrapped it around my now dry body. 

"I'm surprised that you were never taught how to do that," said Shade "most people are taught as children" he added. 

"I was only taught how to control my werewolf side because I grew up in a pack" I reminded him. 

"Well if we survive this, I will teach you everything that I know" stated Shade with a warm smile. 

I returned the smile and walked over to my daggers that were still laying on the floor. I picked them up and turned to face him. 

"We better survive then" I laughed, allowing myself to be optimistic. 

We collected some water and left the joy infused air surrounding the oasis to continued our ill-fated journey to Regnum Flammae, it was then that I vowed to myself that once we knew that Chase was safe, we had to use all of our strength to destroy Sebastian for good.

***Thanks for reading :) 

Here is the promised update, it is more of a filler chapter but I felt that I had to give the story a small break from the action and allow you guys to see more of Aurora and Shades relationship. 

Until next time,

Happy reading😊💜***