Chapter 1

"Take that back," a voice screams, just before a flour bomb explodes directly over my head.

I duck down quickly, crawling behind a counter before my sister can launch any more powder at me. "You are a cotton-headed ninny muggins, and you know it," I yell, making a mad dash for the hallway. I make it practically out of the kitchen doorway before running into my mom.

"Move, mom!" I screech, but it's too late. I feel a puff of flour surround my mom and I before Bailey gasps, realizing what she has done.

"I totally wasn't-" Bailey gets out before my mom cuts her off with a raise of her hand.

Mom, completely dusted in white, walks calmly to the fridge. She carefully removes an egg, glides over to where Bailey stands frozen, and cracks it over her head.

I burst out laughing, which only increases as my twin sister glares at me.

"Sky started it! She was calling me names!" Bailey pouts as she scowls at me through the dripping yolk.

I stick my tongue out at her, before running up the stairs. "I have to leave for work in five minutes, and I'm covered in flour! I can't be late!"

Once in my room, I shake out my hair and dust off my body the best that I can. I pull my honey blonde hair into a ponytail before shoving a hat on my head. I work at a cheesy diner, but at least the uniform isn't terrible. Just a hat and t-shirt with the restaurant's logo, and I can wear whatever jeans I want.

I look in the mirror quickly to make sure all remains of our war are gone. I have long, straight blonde hair and blue eyes. Bailey, my twin, looks almost the same as me, except she has dark brown hair. Even though the war may seem to negate it, we really do get on quite well. She's my best friend.

And I'm going to be late for work.

After running back down the stairs, I grab a granola bar for dinner before leaving the house.

"Bye!" I yell, letting the family know I'm leaving.

I crunch on my granola bar as I walk, shivering slightly in the cool air. I should have brought a hoodie. I look up and see impending storm clouds, and pray that it won't rain.

The walk to work isn't that long. It usually takes just 10 minutes. Living in the city has perks like that; you're close to everything. I can walk anywhere and don't have to spend money on a car.

Just as I arrive at the diner, I feel a rain drop land on my cheek.

"What luck," I grumble, before ducking into the restaurant.

-----------------------------

"No!" I screech, but it's too late. A bucket of soapy water is dumped over my head, and I stand there in a puddle, soaking wet. I'm trying to look angry, but the fact that I can't stop laughing is making that difficult.

"You jerk!" I yell, poking the offender, my co worker Seth, in the chest. "I didn't want to get wet! That's the reason I'm still here, so I don't have to walk home in the rain!"

I'm not supposed to close tonight, but I'm still here with the crew, waiting for my parents to show up. I called them quite a while ago, but they must've gotten hung up at home. I didn't want to walk home in the freezing rain, but it seems I've gotten soaking wet anyway.

Seth simply grins down at me. He is so tall he makes even me, at 5'7", feel short.

"Sorry, you were just in the way. I need to mop," he says, gesturing to the mop leaning on the table beside him. I punch him in the arm, and get a better idea.

"It's ok, I forgive you," I say sweetly, opening my arms up for a hug. My arms that are dripping water still.

I begin to chase Seth around the diner, until my manager, Amy, comes out from the back.

"Skylar, the phone is for you," she says seriously.

"Ok, tell them I'll be a moment," I reply, determined to get back at Seth.

"You really need to take this. It's the police."

That simple sentence, those three words, cause my stomach to drop. I immediately stop chasing Seth and follow Amy to the back.

She hands me the phone before walking out, giving me privacy. I pick up the device with shaking hands.

"Hello?" I practically whisper. My heart is trying to leap out of my chest, like it knows horrible news is on the way.

"Is this Skylar Wood?" an authoritative voice questions me.

"Yes," I manage to get out.

"This is Officer Weston. We just wanted to make sure you were at your current location before we send a squad car out to pick you up. I will have more information for you when you arrive," he says, sounding ready to hang up.

"Wait, wait, why are you picking me up?" I ask quickly, before he can end the call.

"Like I said, I will speak with you once you get here."

"Where is 'here'? There's no way I am getting into a car with a stranger unless I know what's going on. Tell me!" I demand.

Officer Weston heaves a huge sigh on the other end of the line. "Skylar, there's... there's been an accident. Your father, mother, and sister were all in the car at the time. It doesn't look as if..."

I tune him out, holding the phone limply to my ear as I slide down a wall and crouch there.

An accident.

My whole family was in the car.

I don't really remember how I got from the diner to the police station. I sit in a padded chair, numbly looking straight ahead. I know several people have tried to talk to me, but I can't seem to focus on anything. I feel like I'm in a fog.

Another face wavers before my eyes, and I see the mouth moving, telling me something. I pull myself together and realize it is Officer Weston.

He sits down in the chair beside me, looking extremely uncomfortable. He puts a heavy hand on my shoulder.

"Skylar, we did everything we could, but there were no survivors from the accident. Neither your father nor your mother survived the impact, and I was just informed that your sister's heart stopped in the ambulance. She never even made it to the hospital. After looking in your records, we've called your Aunt Rachel. It seems she's the only family you have left. She's in histerics, of course, but said she will be here as soon as possible. It will still be a few hours, as she lives in Oregon."

I look up at the officer, his face swimming from the tears gathering. "Why did they crash?" I whisper.

"The rain was causing some flooding in parts of the city. It seems they hydroplaned and lost control of the vehicle, smashing into a tree before being hit by several other cars." He looked thoughtful for a moment. "Do you know where they were all going?"

A horrible, gut-wrenching feeling goes through my body.

"They were coming to get me. They crashed because of me."

I put my head in my hands and sob.

Picture above is Skylar

I hope you all enjoy the story so far! If so, be sure to like it, or if you're feeling loving, shoot me a comment! 

Thanks for giving this book a try <3

--love karita