2. The Boy's in the Iceberg

✧∭✧∰✧∭✧∭✧∭✧∭✧∰✧∭✧∭✧∭✧∭✧∰✧∭✧

''Water. Earth. Fire. Air. My grandmother used to tell me stories about the old days, a time of peace when the Avatar kept the balance between the Water Tribes, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Air Nomads. But that all changed when the Fire Nation attacked. Only the Avatar mastered all four elements. Only he could stop the ruthless Firebenders. But when the world needed him most, he vanished. A hundred years have passed and the Fire Nation is nearing victory in the War. Two years ago, my father and the men of my tribe journeyed to the Earth Kingdom to help fight against the Fire Nation, leaving me and my brother to look after our tribe. Some people believe that the Avatar was never reborn into the Air Nomads and that the cycle is broken. But I haven't lost hope. I still believe that somehow, the Avatar will return to save the world'

Katara's thoughts were broken when her older brother Sokka spoke

"it's not getting away from me this time," he says determined as he stares intently at the fish swimming in the freezing water. They are both dressed in the southern water tribe's attire, that being thick blue coats with fur and gloves to keep them warm. It's cold all year round in the South Pole but the few people living there became accustomed to the cold. Living in snow houses or tents and living off the fish Sokka was currently trying to catch.

"Watch and learn Katara, this is how you catch a fish," Sokka says in a braggy tone but Katara isn't very impressed and instead she leans over the edge of the canoe to see a fish. Hesitantly, she removes her left glove. She takes a deep breath and with a look of trepidation begins to motion with her hand. Suddenly, a globe of water containing the fish bursts out of the water.

"Sokka, look!" she cheers proudly but she is struggling to keep the water under control.

"Shhh. Katara, you're gonna scare it away. Mmmm... I can already smell it cookin'!" Sokka says dismissively still staring at the fish.

"But Sokka! I caught one!"Katara struggles with the orb of water as it floats closer to Sokka, who raises his spear to strike a fish. When he cocks his arm back he burst the bubble of water. The fish falls back into the sea and Sokka gets drenched in icy water. "Hey!" Katara exclaims annoyed.

"Ugh! Why is it that every time you play with magic water I get soaked?" Sokka says annoyed as he tries to dry himself off.

Katara looking slightly offended says "It's not magic. It's Waterbending, and it's-" but is cut off by Sokka,

"Yeah, yeah, an ancient art unique to our culture, blah blah blah. Look, I'm just saying that if I had weird powers, I'd keep my weirdness to myself" he mutters annoyed.

"You're calling me weird? I'm not the one who makes muscles at myself every time I see my reflection in the water," she smirks as on cue Sokka is making a muscle and looking at his reflection in the water. He turns to Katara and gives her a look. Suddenly the boat is bumped; they look up to see they have entered an ice-packed area. Sokka begins to work frantically to manoeuvre the canoe between the icebergs using the ore.

Katara and Sokka yell as their canoe is heading straight for large icebergs. "Watch out! Go left! Go left!" Katara yells. The canoe threads its way through the ice pack but icebergs continue colliding all around them. Each time they manage to avoid getting crushed between the colliding icebergs, but their safety margins decrease rapidly each time. Finally, the canoe is crushed when three icebergs collide at once. Sokka and Katara jump out in time onto one of the icebergs.

Now safely stuck on an iceberg Katara breaths "You call that left?"

"You don't like my steering. Well, maybe you should have Waterbended us out of the ice." Sokka counters