Chapter Twelve: Disaster Waiting to Happen

Start from the beginning

So I racked my brain, trying to figure out what was on my mind right before I drifted off. The only conclusion I came to was Max. He was the only thing that was ever on my mind. But... Did I really tell him...?

My cheeks grew really red as the realization hit me hard in the chest. He smiled as he realized I remembered, a soft laugh shaking his body. I slowly nodded, even though he obviously knew the memory had returned. I was a little annoyed he found it amusing, but I ignored it as I remembered that he'd said it back.

"You love me?" I breathed, more to myself. My eyes widened, and my heart fluttered. He just smiled up at me, geniune adoration in his eyes.

"Of course," he said confidently, reaching his hand up to cup my face. I leaned against his palm, my eyes closing as I smiled and a warm sensation came over my body. "Whats not to love?" he added, running his thumb over my cheek. I scoffed a little, my smile still situated across my face.

"A lot," I said. I thought about it, staring down at him. "But you love me anyway," I said, assuring myself. He nodded vigorously, grinning. My smile turning into more of a smirk as he removed his hand from my face. He let it rest on his stomach, his head still laying on my thigh.

I softly ran my fingers along his collar bone again, looking for his reaction. His face sobered, his eyes closing. A violent shudder ran through his body, shaking his shoulders. He bit his lip and flexed his shakey hand. His breaths deepened and slowed, everything about him fighting for control. I decided to stop, lifting my hand. I bent over, placing a kiss on his cheek. He opened one eye, peering up at me. My smirk was evident, I didn't try to conceal it.

"That was mean," he managed, swallowing. I smiled, liking the effect I had on him. I bent down again, whispering in his ear.

"I love you," I said softly, before gently lifting his head and slipping out from under him. I pushed myself out of bed, leaving Max in my room as I trotted down stairs to make coffee for him.

As I emerged in the kitchen, I heard loud thumping upstairs. I raised my eyebrows, listening. I started the coffee, flipping the 'on' switch as Max came bumping down the stairs. I watched him as he crossed the living room in large strides, his eyes fixed on me. He smiled, and I smiled back, resting on hand on my hip and leaning my weight to my right foot.

"Hey-" I began, before I was cutoff by him crashing his lips on mine. I stumbled back, but he caught me around the waist before I fell. His hand came up to cup my face as my eyes slipped closed, the kiss electric. I melted against his touch, helpless against him. I pulled my hands up around his neck, pulling him closer. I could feel goosebumps forming where his skin touched mine, a small chill running through my body. My heart beated off time, never steadying.

When he finally pulls away what seems like an eternity later, both of us are breathless and panting hard. The feeling of the kiss still lingered in the air around us, seeming to crackle like firecrackers between us. I take a very deep, very shakey breath in an attempt to center myself. Max's face broke out into a smile, leaning down. He leaned close to my ear, still panting.

"I love you too," he whispered, smirking. Dispite the teasing smirk, his voice was sincere and genuine. He slowly stepped away from me, watching for my reaction. He knew what he did to me... He knew his touch was like my kryptonite. Even now, not thirty seconds after he moved from my grasp and I was already longing for it.

I groaned, giving in and going up on tip toe to kiss him again.

* * * * *

"Rummy!" I called. Max looked over his hand, rolling his eyes as he spotted it. I smiled, finishing my turn as I discarded. I sighed a little, looking over at the pile of dishes in the sink left from where I'd made dinner. I'd made some really good garlic chicken and brown rice, but unfortunately it left a lot of dirty dishes. I watched Max discard, and I smiled again.