Chapter One: Night Swimming

I towel dried my hair, leaving it damp and letting it hang around my shoulders. I forced a brush through it, getting rid of all the tangles that came after a shower. It felt nice, the long, hot shower after such a long day. I sighed, content with being clean. I stepped into a pair of sweat pants and an old paint-splattered tank top, the soft worn fabric feeling good against my skin. I smiled.

I blew my hair dry, my curls returning to their usual form. I ran a brush through it again, putting it in low pigtails. I looked at myself in the mirror, thinking about what I saw. For once in years, I saw me... My eyes were bright blue, giving me a lingering essence of innocence. I was a tiny nineteen year old, just a couple inches taller than five foot. I was thin, always had been. My dark brown curly hair fell in front of my shoulders in the pigtails.

I chuckled, walking out of my bathroom. I grabbed my phone and a pair of socks on my way out of my room, trotting down the stairs. I came behind Max on the couch, watching him as he flipped through channels on TV. He looked back at me, raising his eyebrows.

"What?" I asked, walking around the couch. I sat down on one side, my back against the arm, facing him. I pulled my feet up to sit in front of me. He just laughed and shook his head.

"You're different..." he commented, turning back to the TV. I raised my brow at him, nudging his leg with my foot.

"Is that a good thing?" I asked.

Max just laughed again, nodding his head. "My last girl roommate never wore sweat pants," he explained, opening the DVR on the flat screen.

"I'm still not sure what that means," I told him.

Max looked at me sideways, a small smirk on his face. "She wore tight clothes and makeup all day," he said. "Because all she wanted to do was get in my pants."

I laughed, really hard, pulling my knees up to my chest. "I'm serious," he assured me, laughing with me. I only laughed harder, putting my forehead on my knees. He just shook his head, smiling, returning to the TV.

Once I finally calmed down, he elaborated, "So yes, its a good thing, Blakely."

It was silent for a few minutes while Max finally decided on one of those music channels. But not an awkward silence... One of those silences that's shared between two friends who've known each other forever.

"What kind of music do you like?" he asked, leaning forward and setting the remote on the table. He turned and put his body in the same position as mine, staring back at me. We fit perfectly on the couch, taking up just enough room. He reached behind him while he waited for my answer, pulling a folded quilt from next to the couch. He threw it over both of us, just looking at me.

"Uh... All music," I told him, pulling the quilt over my knees. "I can listen to anything, really."

He pondered this for a second, before firing another one at me. "What kind of movies do you like?"

"Depends," I said.

"On what?"

"Actors, theme of the movie, what its about... Stuff like that."

He smiled, satisfied with my answer. I laughed a little, shaking my head.

"Why all the questions?" I asked him, pulling on one of my pigtails.

"Well," he began. "The way I see it, we're probably gonna be living together for a while, right?"

I nodded, raising my eyebrow.