Chapter 33; What I Am

Start from the beginning

Orgon stops walking, tugging me close to his face in the middle of the hallway. Immediately my heart drops, struggling to pull my face as far from his as I can. He only gives me one look up and down, as if I'm not even worth an explanation. In this case, I'm not.

"You don't have to do anything," Orgon says, smiling down at me. His eyes seem to shine even brighter in the shadows of the hallway. "You just have to stand still, be quiet, and look pretty. Got it?"

I swallow down the nervousness rising in my throat, giving a small nod before he straightens back up and pulls down the front of his suit jacket. His smile softens, but I don't let it trick me into believing he's calm. This man is edging madness, but is using it to his advantage. At least that's how it looks to me.

"We just have to let this fight finish," Orgon says, referring to the muffled screaming and cheering on the other side of the metal door, "then it's Ezra's turn again. He's all fueled up and ready to go again."

I curl my fingers behind my back, pushing away the image of Ezra striking down a bait human for their blood.  I'm certain he wasn't as gentle with that poor soul as he was with me before.

"You'll be outta here before you know it," Orgon says, patting me on the back. His force makes me brace my knees to keep balanced. "Boyfriend and all."

-:*:-

The winning werewolf was dragged out of the ring by two of their conductor's workers, unconscious from the tranquilizers flooding their system. I don't look as they haul out the loser's body, reeling back at the smell of blood and soot.

Orgon grabs me by the elbow, waiting for his queue before dragging me through the door and into the arena. The lights blind me for a brief moment, but when the red orbs clear from my vision I can see nothing but metal walls and clumped up sand. The chain net only glints in my eyes if I squint, but I can't see the hundreds of spectators behind it. I can definitely hear them though, their screaming seemingly amplified within the welded walls of the ring. No wonder the fighters go insane after being thrown in here; I would too.

I flinch as someone else grabs my shoulder, allowing Orgon to release me as they pull me back against the wall. It's one of Orgon's men, simply put in the arena to make sure I stay in place. Why am I here? Why isn't this fight just like that last one?

"Laaadies and gentleman."

The speakers are even louder down here. My ears start to ring.

"We have a very special arrangement for you tonight, never before seen in Hidden Power's history."

I shift my eyes back and forth from the closed door to Orgon, who had unbuttoned his white suit jacket. He slips it off his shoulders, carefully removing his hat before setting them both off to the side. I furrow my eyebrows as he rolls up his sleeves. What is he doing?

"Returning to the arena again, will be Orgon File's fighter, Ezra. But before he is released I should inform you that his competitor is already in the ring."

I hesitate, drawn back as my gaze darts back to Orgon. He's grinning like a mad man.

"This fight with be between Ezra, and his conductor himself! That's right. And you'll be the only ones to see it first hand! Place you bets now!"