Picking Petals

Yao rests his head against Ivan's shoulder, his hand against the white bench.

"I'm glad we did this, aru."

"Me too... Should we find a hotel? Somewhere we can stay the night?"

Yao Yao thinks for a moment then nods, getting up from the bench. Ivan hold Yao's hand as they continue walking.

"Vanya...?"

"Yes, my sunflower?"

"How did you get so tall, aru?"

Yao looks up at Ivan, his cheeks puffed in frustration. Ivan laughs softly. "I don't know, Yao-Yao. Are you disappointed?"

Yao nudges Ivan with his shoulder, a soft blush dusting his cheeks. "I'm not disappointed, aru! Just...you were so small! I remember when you only came up to my waist!"

Ivan smiles in embarrassment. "Da?"

"Aiyah, you were so cute back then, Vanya. What happened?" Yao laughs, making Ivan's face go red.

"Am I not cute anymore?" He teases, making Yao look away, an ashamed smile on his face.

"N-no...You're definitely not cute anymore, aru. You're a man now." Yao smirked. "You're very handsome..."

Ivan's face grows hot. "R-really?"

Yao huffs.

"D-don't get the wrong idea, aru! You are still only a child compared so some of the other nations!" Yao refutes, making Ivan grin stupidly.

"A child? My, my, Yao, you old man!"

"Hush, aru! Respect your elders!"

Ivan laughs into his scarf, Yao smiling softly at the Russian's reactions. Yao looks down, the smile not fading from his lips. The ones that the Russian longed to kiss. The ones that captivated him from the moment he saw them. So soft and perfect...

"Why are you staring, aru?"

Ivan snaps back into reality, his face going red. "A-ah, was I staring?" Ivan stutters as he looks away.

"Aiyah, how could you not know you were staring!?" The Chinese man questioned, his eyes sending shivers up the Russian's spine.

"Heh, I don't know, Yao-Yao."

"How does one not know!?"

Ivan smiles, his heart skipping every other beat every time the brunette spoke. "Look, a hotel."

He quickly changes the subject, aware of Yao's impatience. "Let's go then, aru. I don't want to be out here for long." Yao murmurs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yao stares into the hotel bathroom's mirror, shame rising the more he looks at his reflection. I don't know that person, he thinks to himself. Who is that...?

"Yao-Yao, are you ready to go to bed?"

Yao hears the voice through the door, though he doesn't look away from the mirror.

"Yao?"

He stares at his reflection, unable to speak. He hears the soft knocking on the door.

"Are you alright, China?"

He can't bring himself to open the door.

To look away.

He can't bring himself to notice the tears flowing down his face. All he notices are the imperfections he sees.