Chapter 39: Surprise

Start from the beginning

“Well there’s not much else to focus on here.” He gestured around the plain room with a grimace.

“How about the fact that you’ll be getting out soon?”

“Trust me. I’ve been thinking about that a lot. It kind of goes with what I was doing before you arrived.” He rubbed his temple, frowning. “It’ll be weird, going out there again...seeing people, going to school, living. I don’t really know what’s going to happen or what I’m supposed to do.”

“Do what feels right,” I said, smiling. “And you shouldn’t worry too much about it. We’re all going to be there if you need us.”

“Thanks." He took my hand, running his thumb along the side of my ring. “So does your boyfriend go to school with us?”

I fidgeted in my seat. “Yeah.”

“What’s up?” he asked, catching my wince.

“We’re just…going through a bit of a rough patch, that’s all.” That was kind of the truth. Right?

I saw his lips twitch slightly. “That sucks. You’re fighting?”

“Sort of…” I trailed off, not really knowing how else to go on. “It’s complicated.”

“I’m not as dumb as I look,” he joked.

I grinned. “That’s debatable.”

“Hey, be nice to the patient!”

I waved a hand and rolled my eyes. “Yeah, yeah. So what are you going to do first as a free man?”

“You make me sound like a criminal getting out of jail. And I have a very good idea of what to do.” He looked extremely happy about this fact, and I wondered what exactly he had planned.

“What are you going to do?” I asked, narrowing my eyes at him.

“Oh nothing too special,” he smirked, pleased at having peaked my curiosity.

“Is this a secret too?”

“Yup.”

“That’s not fair. You can’t just leave me with that!” I whined, “Come on, tell me. Please?”

“Nope. Not telling. Don’t even bother begging.” He shook his head. “I’m not saying a word about Friday’s activities. Just like you didn’t tell me about the guitar.”

“That is so not cool. And that was only a day’s wait. Come on, I sat by your bedside for almost three months. You owe me an answer,” I pouted.

He let go of my hand and folded his arms. “Well I didn’t make you stay, you did that all on your own. Sorry, but that’s not going to get me to budge. It’ll ruin the surprise.”

“Surprise?” I repeated. “What do you mean surprise?”

“That’s all you’re getting out of me!” he said quickly, “Subject change!”

“But Jake!” I cried. “My curiosity…it will never be satisfied!”

“Oh yes it will. Friday. Now, let’s talk about something else.” He rolled his eyes at me. “Don’t be so dramatic.”

I folded my arms and glared. “You’re evil. Truly evil.”

“Thank you. Now, what’s going on in the outside world?” he asked.

I was reluctant to let him change subject and not tell me anything, but I finally gave in, albeit grudgingly, and we moved onto other topics until his sister came to the door. Then I left them to talk and be together, figuring they needed it more than I did. I got to see Jake whenever I wanted, Sandra lived so far away and was on bad terms with her parents, so coming to visit wasn’t an option. Plane tickets cost way too much to come often, and driving took time she couldn’t afford to lose.