Chapter Twelve : The Ground That's The Dream

Clarke's POV

I was helping Madi tie up Murphy so that he couldn't escape, when my vision went black as a sack was pulled over my head from behind, i fought back, but my captor was stronger than me. They also had the element of surprise.

I screamed, "Madi! Madi!" and strained to hear her but I couldn't. My mind whirled with panic. Count the turns. I reminded myself, as i was dragged away. Methodically counting the rights and left turns, to use to my advantage when i get the chance to escape.

After what feels like hours, but is probably only minutes, we stop moving and my stomach swoops at the weightlessness of being tossed through the air, and i land on the ground with a smack. Ouch.

A metal gate is slammed shut, startling me. I blink in the darkness and realize that i can now see and breathe. I inhale deeply as i survey the scene.

"Clarke?" a familiar voice rings out. I scramble over to Madi, as fast as i can, I'm still dizzy and sore from being dragged across the ground, over rocks and sticks, to get here. Relief floods my body, as i grab her in a hug,

I hear a groan from the opposite corner of our cell, and i whip my head around. "Where's my hug?" Murphy deadpans.

I scoot over on my knees and fling my arms around him. "I can't believe your alive! Damn, and they call me a survivor." He says and i laugh, and drawing back looking him in the eyes.

"What do you remember?" I question him, and Madi chimes in, "Yeah any urges to kill us?" Murphy's glances at Madi, then back at me, "Who's the hobbit?" He asks. "Nevermind, the last thing I remember is space, but i had this weird dream..." he fades out, "Oh my god that was real wasn't it?! Is Bellamy okay?" He questions apprehensively.

I nod. "He's fine." He rubs his temples, "I couldn't stop myself, i had no control, i-" his voice falters. I put my hand on his arm, "Murphy, it's okay, we'll figure it out." I reassure him. "But first, let's figure out our plan to escape from here."

Just then i hear two sets of footsteps echoing down the hall. A voice carries, "These are the people we found wandering the ground. We brought them to you, blodreina, just like you asked us."

They come into view and i can't believe my eyes. The girl is wearing dark armor with red warpaint on her head, and the symbol of the commander glares down from the middle of her forehead, as she stares back at me.

"Clarke? Murphy?" She says in disbelief, "Oh my god." She flings open the metal gate to our jail cell. "Unchain them now! They are my friends!" She drop to her knees next to me, and undoes my chains. I stare at her wide eyed, her eyes are shining with tears.

She untangles the chains from my hands and quickly throws her arms around me and i hug her back. "You're here! I can't believe it." We pull apart and she knocks Murphy over in a hug, he laughs and hugs her tight.

"Now there's something i thought i would never see." I say wryly and everyone laughs.

Octavia glances over at Madi, who is entirely starstruck. "Skairipa! Clarke told me all the stories about you. How you won the conclave and saved humanity." She says breathlessly.

I laugh, "Madi this is Octavia, Octavia this is Madi, my adopted daughter." I fill her in, and wrap my arms around Madi. "I'm so glad you're okay." Octavia holds her hand out to Madi and Madi puts her hand in hers and she clapses it. "It's a pleasure to meet you Madi," she says and Madi beams.

Octavia let's go of Madi's hand and stands up, "Come on, there are some other people that I'm sure you want to see." We all stand up and stretch, I'm really sore from being dragged across the ground, and i wince. Octavia notices and her smile falters, "I'm sorry that they captured you like that, if i would have known it was you..." then it hits her, "Where is my brother and the others?" She asks, her eyes wide and voice cracking with emotion.

I cast a glance at Murphy, "We were separated." I say, feeling the familiar cold fist of fear tightening around my heart, as we make our way down the hall.

At the end of the hall Octavia pushes open the door, "We'll find them." She reassures me and I nod, blinking rapidly to stop the tears that are welling up in my eyes. The door squeaks loudly and everyone in the huge room falls silent and turns to look at us.

My eyes land on my mother who almost falls over when she sees me standing here. "Clarke?" She runs over and people step out of the way to let her through, thankfully otherwise I'm pretty sure they would have been pushed away or trampled. There is nothing stopping a mom from reaching her child, I understand that now.

"Mom!" I start to cry and then throw my arms around her. "Oh my baby, I'm so glad you're okay!" She says, smoothing my hair. I rest my head on her shoulder, feeling the weight of responsibility that's been sitting on my shoulders every single day, ease. "You too, i missed you so much!" I say my voice cracking.

Miller, Jackson, Kane, Jaha, and Niylah come over as well, Murphy and Miller sharing a hug, as i wrap my arms around Niylah. "Hey my favorite commander of death." She smiles at me. I pull back and pretend to be offended, "I'm the only commander of death, so if you're going for a compliment you gotta do better than that!" We both laugh.

We all greet each other, talking and laughing, swapping stories of the past six years. And i introducing them all to Madi, with pride.

We end up in a disorderly line, and wonkru is full of excitement and i wonder how long it has been since they have ever had enough food. I always thought they had it better, in the bunker, safe and surrounded by people.

But I'm not so sure anymore.

From what little Octavia has told me, it seems like the last year was the worst. She couldn't even look me in the eye when talking about it. Everyone walks around looking at the floor, eyes down and withdrawn from reality. Haunted by their past.

When we left there was 1,200 people in the bunker, Octavia told me softly that there are only 834 left. I almost fell over from the shock, that's a lot of people! Everyone refused to talk about it though.

At least they are back home now, above the ground. Finally free, and hopefully all the pain we've experienced, the horrors we have seen? Well hopefully we can finally let it go.

A/N things are going to pick up soon and I'm excited for the plans i have for this story! thank you for taking he time to  read this story! every vote and comment and read means the world to me, thank you all so much! writing has always been a passion of mine, and now other people get to read what i write and it's pretty amazing