I swear under my breath. "Sorry Ash, I know you don't like caves but it's too open out here," I mutter.

I pull both of our backpacks over my shoulders and lift him into my arms. I swear again when I realize he is lighter than my sister despite being almost as tall as I am.

By the time I get him up to the cave, my shirt and hands are slick with blood. I set him down on the smooth rock floor, using the backpacks to keep him sitting upright.

"Thank the gods mom taught us how to do this," I sigh as I take the medical supplies out of my backpack.

The dragons had stabbed him right between his ribs and I stitched it up pretty good but Ash refused to take a break from walking and ended up opening the wound again.

I take out the old stitches, cringing at the torn and ripped skin. It immediately begins to bleed even more and I swear loudly before re-stitching it as quickly as I can. I wrap bandages over his chest, sighing in relief when it doesn't bleed through.

I lean against the cave wall, exhaustion sinking deep into my bones.

Is he okay? Azazel asks.

I look at Ash carefully. His breathing is still fast and shallow but his heart beat is starting to sound normal again.  A sheen of sweat covers his skin but when I feel his forehead, he's cold.

I flick my wrist and a large fire illuminates the cave. I rest against the wall beside Ash, focusing on his heartbeat and breathing. Wake me if something happens to him, I say.

I will, now get some rest, Azazel tells me.

I glance again at Ash sleeping beside me before letting my head fall back against the rock. I close my eyes and slip into a dreamless sleep.

*******

I wake to something bouncing under my head. I open my eyes with a small groan.

"It's about damn time, I've been stuck here for hours," I hear a voice chuckle.

My eyes widen as I realize I was sleeping on Ash's shoulder. I sit up quickly. "Oh uh, sorry I didn't―"

"I'm just messing with you, I really didn't mind. I just needed you to wake up cause I really have to pee," he says with a sheepish smile.

"Well thanks for letting me sleep this long," I mutter, noticing it's midday already.

He nods before shifting a little then pausing with a wince. I roll my eyes and stand up before helping pull him to his feet.

"Thanks," he breathes. "I'll be right back."

While he's gone, I change my clothes, groaning as I realize I don't have anything clean. Hey, dirty clothes are still better than blood-soaked, my dragon comments.

Yeah true, I say.

I run a hand through my hair, cringing as my fingers catch in the tangled curls. "I need a shower," I mutter.

"The river pools not too far from here, the water's usually pretty warm," Ash says, stepping back into the cave.

"So you think I need a shower too then huh?" I grin.

"Well you're still covered in blood and so am I, not to mention we've been walking through the mountains for going on a week now, a shower wouldn't hurt."

"Well then lead the way to the river," I say. I swing both backpacks over my shoulders and motion for Ash to go.

"I can carry my own pack," he growls.