Chapter 29: Spies

Start from the beginning

“I mean, you’re gorgeous, far more than Chad is, but when he wants something he knows how to get it,” she continued, glaring a little. I presume he got Shannon in bed and now that he was with Ivy she was pissed. “And besides. I’m single. You’re single. Our ex’s are dating…”

“Shannon shut up,” I hissed, untangling myself from her death grip.

“What? I’m just telling the truth. The bastard always gets what he wants. How do you think he got Ivy?” she said smugly, as if oh so proud to know this bit of information.

I stalked off to my locker, taking long strides to make sure I put sufficient distance between us. The girl drove me nuts. And her stupid commentary made no sense and just pissed me off. She made it sound like Ivy was a possession or something. I hated it. And I saw Chad look at me before kissing her. He did it on purpose. There wasn’t a lot of things that I hated, but right now Chad and Shannon were on the top of the list, with Liam just under them, as well as my parents.

All of this stress was going to kill me.

Ivy POV

I was right. The rest of that day sucked. Hell, the rest of the week sucked. Chad seemed more annoyingly intimate than usual, Jake seemed more distant, Tyler was always out with his girlfriend it seemed, Jo was always with Ben nowadays, and Leena was always busy as well with something or other; whether it be family or projects, but that was the usual with her.

By the time Friday rolled around I was ready to behead anyone who came near me. And it had nothing to do with being on my period.

“Ivy why are you in such a bitchy mood?” Tyler groaned at me Friday night.

“Because people are pissing me off. I’m having a bad week so leave me the hell alone,” I said icily from the couch, a tub of ice cream in one hand, a spoon in the other while I watched Beauty and the Beast. “And if you keep talking to me I will launch this ice cream at your head and I guarantee I will not miss.”

The doorbell rang and Tyler went to go answer it, which had to be one of the wisest choices he had ever made in life. I heard Jake’s voice and groaned internally. Great. I had to socialize.

“Hey,” Tyler greeted him, “Why didn’t you answer your phone?”

“Uh…when did you call me?” Jake asked, puzzled. “Shit, it’s off.”

“I wanted to tell you I was going out tonight,” Tyler told him, “And to go home. Unless you want to risk the chance of being murdered.”

“The person most at risk of being killed is the one who won’t shut up,” I hinted from the living room. Ass.

“See?” Tyler whined, “I’ve been stuck with that all week!”

“Hardly. You’ve barely been home all week,” I snorted.

“I think I’ll take my chances,” Jake replied and I heard the door shut. A moment later Jake sat down next to me while Tyler went upstairs to get dressed.

“What’s wrong with you?” he asked bluntly.

I stabbed my ice cream with my spoon. “Absolutely nothing."

“You’re eating ice cream and you’re stabbing it. That means you’re in a really foul mood or something happened. Or both, usually. So what’s wrong?” he scooted down so he was pressed right up against my side.

“Nothing,” I muttered. Damn boy knew me too well.

“Ivy,” he sighed.

“Don’t ‘Ivy’ me, Jake. Where have you been all week? I barely saw you at all," I countered.