Chapter Fifty-Two

Start from the beginning

"We wouldn't have been able to find Charlie and Glenn without his help." I heard Maggie's quiet voice and she gave me a small smile when I looked at her in surprise. I turned my eyes back to Gabe. "You helped them find me?"

He nodded. "I didn't know who they were, but then Daryl saw me and recognized me right away…I had no idea you were here, Charlie. I didn't know they did this kind of shit." Gabe was looking at me earnestly and I saw the guilt behind his eyes. It killed me to think he thought that all this was his fault somehow.

I took a deep breath and tried to stand up a little straighter. "You didn't know, Gabe, okay? Let's just worry about getting Daryl and getting the hell out of here." I whirled around to look at Rick. "Daryl went back out there, Rick. His brother is in there somewhere, too and if I know Daryl, I know he won't stop at anything until he finds him. We have to go after him." I was practically pleading with him. "He's alone and god knows what they'll do to him if he gets caught." The cold fear I'd been fighting back was suddenly gripping me again, making my stomach churn and my heart pound.

"Wait…did you say Daryl's brother?" Rick suddenly questioned, his brow furrowing together. "Merle Dixon is here?"

I opened my mouth to explain, but caught sight of someone moving in behind Rick. I raised my gun, pointing it towards the dark skinned woman that had appeared behind his shoulder. She froze, tilting her head as she looked at me with calm, cool eyes.

"Where in the hell did you disappear off to, huh?" Rick suddenly hissed at her. He motioned to me to put the gun down, shaking his head. "If you did anything to put us in danger, I swear to god-"

The woman interrupted him. "I had something I needed to take care of. It had nothing to do with you." Her voice was quiet, almost a whisper.

"I'm sorry, who the hell is this?" I was suddenly blurting out.

"Michonne. Long story." T-Dog grunted from next to me.

I kept my eyes on her wearily as I slowly lowered the gun. "Seems like we all have a lot to talk about…" I said quietly, looking back at Rick. He was still eyeing Michonne dangerously, like he wasn't sure whether or not he wanted to trust her.

"If we're going to leave we should do it now." Michonne said suddenly, her voice quiet but intense.

I shook my head. "No, I'm not leaving here without Daryl."

Rick nodded. "We can't leave him behind." He agreed. "Maggie and Michonne, you should take Glenn and Charlie to the car."

"What? Hell no! I'm not waiting at the car!" I hissed. "I'm going with you to get Daryl and there's nothing you can say to stop me."

"Charlie, Daryl asked me to keep you safe." Gabe reminded me, giving my shoulder a gentle squeeze.

I brushed him off. "I know, Gabe, but you don't get it. I can't just sit around while he's out there." I gestured towards the wall. "I'm coming."

Gabe's mouth was set into a stern grimace before he finally let out a breath of air and exchanged a look with Rick. "Fine." He said in defeat.

"Good." I nodded.

T-Dog gave Rick a nod before slinging Glenn's other arm over his shoulder. "Maggie and I will take Glenn to the car."

"Michonne, you go with them." Rick ordered, his voice was the calm, authoritative tone I was used to hearing before he had lost Lori.

Michonne opened her mouth to argue, but seemed to think better of it as Rick gave her a stern, unwavering glare. Her jaw set, she nodded firmly before moving towards the others and brushing past them.