Chapter 12: Love Shack, Baby

Start from the beginning

I grinned brightly at them, humming the song. Jake just stared at my shirt in disbelief.

“Holy crap, Ivy. I have never seen you wear that before,” Jake said, still wide eyed.

“For obvious reasons,” I said, meaning all the swear words on my shirt, “I can’t wear it at school. So I figured I’d be allowed to wear it here since I can’t get in trouble for it.” I sat down on one of the chairs, and Jake sat next to me, taking my hand in his.

Tyler, Jake, Jo, Leena and I all chatted for about twenty five minutes before lunch was ready to be served, so we exited the dance floor and headed across the other side of the sugar shack. We waited in line for a while for people to go in and sit down at a table, before we were finally able to go in and find a place to eat.

We all sat together and had a yummy lunch before everyone was finally free to go out and do what they wanted. We went back to the dance floor as soon as we could as and it was filled with people. So we grabbed our coats and headed outside to start climbing the mountain.

Jo, Leena and I were describing the two different paths on the mountains you could take to make it to the top to the boys, as we walked across the short bridge and up a small incline. We all walked together for a while, chatting about random stuff until we reached a fork in the path.

Both paths seemed completely empty, and I assumed it was because everyone was dancing inside the shack or still eating. But very soon it was going to be crawling with teenagers.

Tyler studied both paths seriously for a moment.

“I’m taking that path!” he declared, pointing at the steep right hand path.

I sniggered, “Have fun.” I knew from experience how hard it was to climb the bloody thing.

“I’m going with Tyler,” Jo said. I’m pretty sure she would have gone anywhere on the mountain as long as Tyler was going. I saw Leena frowning at the paths, uncertain of which to take.

“I think I’m going with Tyler and Jo,” she said finally.

“I’m going on the left hand path. I rather not spend half my day just trying to make it up the first hill.” I said, eyeing the steep snow covered hill.

“I’ll go with Ivy then,” Jake said, smiling down at me.

“So we’ll all meet up later in the shack?” Tyler asked, looking from me to Jake with worried eyes. I rolled my eyes at him. It’s not like we could do many bad things up on a freezing cold mountain.

“Yup, we’ll all meet at the dance floor,” Jake said, before pulling me along to the left path. We walked slowly for a moment, before I stopped him and grinned.

“What?”

I turned around and peeked through the trees. We hadn’t walked very far, so we could see the steep incline of the right path through the trees.

A snort of laughter  bubbled up as Tyler, Jo and Leena struggled to climb the incline. Jake followed my gaze and laughed as Tyler almost made it to the top but lost his grip and slid all the way down the hill, taking a screeching Jo down with him.

“Come on,” I said after five minutes of watching them fall down the mountain. “Let’s see if we can get farther than those losers.”

We took another last look at them clawing their way up before setting off up the hill, still snickering.

After about half an hour of climbing, I stepped sideways over to a stump and sat down on it, panting. “I need a break,” I said, struggling to catch my breath. I had never been the fittest person around, but even Jake looked exhausted.