Chapter 6 - Part 1

Elizabeth grinned as Ian laughed at another of her family anecdotes. They had finished the pizza a while ago, but had continued chatting.

Ian pushed up the sleeves of his black shirt and lifted an ankle onto his knee. Not only were his jeans black as well, but so were his well-worn boots. "Your family must be really close," he said.

She nodded.

"Does your brother visit often?"

"Not really. He's busy with his tech company. But my parents insist we go on a vacation together every year, and he's always back for Christmas."

"And you? Aren't you going to college?"

She pursed her lips.

"It is fine if you aren't."

She grabbed a wet wipe from the packet on the table and dabbed at her mouth after wiping her hands. "I've already graduated."

"College?"

She nodded again.

"But you're only eighteen. At least your driver's license says so."

"I am. I graduated from college at fourteen."

"You're some kind of prodigy."

"No. My parents just expected more of us, I guess. My brother went to college at twelve, too."

"And your parents?"

"They went to college at eighteen, but my mom homeschooled us. I guess homeschooling is just more efficient."

"Okay. So what have you been doing since you turned fourteen? Are you searching for a cure for cancer?"

She gave him a wry smile. "Nothing that impressive. I interned at my parents' companies, learning and seeing what I'd like to do in the future."

"And have you decided?"

"I like helping out at my parents' foundation, but ... I don't know. Something's missing."

"I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually."

"You think? Sometimes I think my parents wasted their time and resources on me. My brother always knew what he wanted to do. He loved computers, and he went for it. He's created applications and devices that made a difference in people's lives. Me? I'm still bumming around."

"You're not bumming around. You're working at your parents' foundation."

"Yeah. But everything I have is built upon my parents' success. Even my investment portfolio is my parents' money."

"You have an investment portfolio?"

"My dad's a fund manager—the good kind," she clarified before he could reply.

"Your parents may have given you a good start, but I'm sure you'll find your own path soon."

She wasn't sure about that. "I hope so." Elizabeth waved it off. "Enough about me. What about you? What do you do? Are you still a student?"

"I was homeschooled, too. But I didn't go college."

"So you're working now?"

He nodded.

"As?"

"Project-based jobs."

That was a vague enough answer that Elizabeth figured he didn't want to talk about his job. "And your family?"

"My mom passed away when I was six." A shadow fell over Ian's face, and his voice softened. "I can't remember much about her."

Six. So many years had passed, yet the pain in his voice sounded so raw. Elizabeth reached over, and her fingers skimmed over the back of his. "I'm sorry."