TASK 1 WattTeam entry

I couldn’t quite explain what I was feeling at that moment. The constant touching of those nearby me as they pranced in their spot thanks to anxiousness. I wanted the ability to reach over and tell them that everything would be fine. But I couldn’t, not when I knew they wouldn’t be. I took irony in the woman on the stage; her angelic voice was music to my ears. Her appearance was marvelous and dashingly beautiful, but I hated her. I hated her for putting each and every one of us through this fear and hesitation. I had a sliver of hope saying my name wouldn’t be called for how could it? District 4 was made up of tons of other boys that could be picked.

                “So let’s choose that lucky lady!” the woman screamed in excitement, we didn’t match her happiness. I scowled as I looked over at the girls division. My eyes immediately caught my sister’s small appearance. Even from a couple yards away I could see the terror in her body. We feared the same thing. I couldn’t be chosen with her, I would kill myself before I did a blow to her. I watched as her head swung into my direction and her body slouched as the woman began reading the envelope. My heart stopped in my throat as her mouth opened, “Violet Anderson.”

I nodded and watched my sister all but fall in the dirt. Other girls did the same as I studied the girl walking towards the stage. I had seen her once or twice and admired her from afar. Her dark brown and blonde hair was thrown over her shoulder though a singly purple streak lay on her face. Her strides were short but her head was high she was trying to show her strength. She was wearing skin tight jeans and a tight red shirt that made her eyes stand out.

                I looked down at what I was now wearing, realizing I would be broadcasted on the television. I wasn’t too unhappy with my choice. I had my favorite dark green cargos on with a black tank top that allowed me to move freely. My black Timberland boots were slightly dirty thanks to the mud I had run through. 

                “Well now let’s get to the men,” the lady announced snapping me out of my phase, “please come down…Wayne Baxter.” It seemed like the world just stopped. A mix of gasps, cries, and murmurs filled the air as I narrowed my eyes at the lady. She had said my name. I found myself walking towards her though my heart was doing flips, was this happening. I stopped in my spot and then looked around me, onlookers, friends, family, all staring at me. Their eyes engraved with pity and sympathy.

                “Please not my brother! Please,” I heard my sister scream to no one in particular but I didn’t dare look her way. I needed to be strong for District 4. I joined Violet and the angelic woman on stage, furrowing my brow as she hugged me.

                “And I give your District 4 Tributes!” she screamed happily. The faint sound of applause was barely audible as people stared at us with fear, I didn’t blame them.

                “Come you two!” she told us nicely before leaving our sides and turning in her spot.

                “I feel more like a loser!” Violet mumbled before turning as well. I took one more look at the people that stood before me; my heart ached to be with them. I began to back up and for some reason I felt like I did leave my true self down there with them.