Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

Once Zara was safe in her class, I watched mum hurry out and striding towards the proprietor's office. As soon as I saw her walk towards that passage and into that massive office, I pieced the puzzle together. Right then, I knew exactly what she'd been planning all along and why she'd been happy when dad announced he wouldn't be home for a few days. I didn't want to miss whatsoever that will transpire between mum and Zara's class teacher, so I bunked my section and went to Zara's, pretending she'd forgotten something.

My section is separated from Zara's and once I've crossed that dwarf fence, I wouldn't be allowed into the nursery section again unless after school hours.

Miss Chioma seemed to be engrossed in whatsoever she was doing with her phone as she kept smiling into it to even notice I'd been there all along. She wasn't even paying attention to the little kids running around the class. Well, I wouldn't blame her as it's still fifteen minutes before assembly.

As my watch ticked, I knew I was overstaying my welcome in Zara's class, so I made a quick decision before I'm asked by a teacher to head to my section. I kissed Zara goodbye and walked out to the passage and into the convenience which was just a bit off the passage to the proprietor's office. Thankfully, it was unlocked and pretty clean, thanks to the cleaners. I held the door a bit open from where I could peek out, and it was a pretty good sight to the proprietor's door.

Minutes later, the secretary hurried out, disappearing from my sight. My heart began to throb. Faster.

Seconds later, she resurfaced but this time with Miss Chioma trailing behind. Both disappeared into the office again.

I glanced at my watch. It says 7:26am. Four minutes to assembly.

But I stayed put.

7:30am. And the assembly began.

7:45am. I heard the kids praying.

7:50am. I heard them begin the dialysis nuggets.

7:55am. The school band came on and I heard their footsteps as they matched in.

8:00am. The assembly ground was quiet. I was still stuck in the convenience, my hand sore from holding the door knob, my eyes pale from staring at the door.

Right then, the door opened and the secretary hurried out. Seconds later, she reappeared huddling a long note and then disappeared into the office shutting the door behind her.

My watch says 8:15am.

8:28am the door opened again and mum walked out. I couldn't stop myself as I ran out too. Obviously, she was surprised to see me.

From mum's countenance, I could see total happiness and victory.
"Don't tell me you've been hiding here since?" She queried not so seriously.

"I needed to know what happened?" I defended my actions.

"So? That means I'll suffer amnesia and forget before you come home?" She was sarcastic.

"Please tell me, how did it go? And when did you plan all this?" I ignored her question. It was rhetoric by the way.

Just then, the door opened again and I saw the secretary walking Miss Chioma to her class. We trailed behind them, walking past as she entered the class. The young secretary leaned by the door frame as my dad's girlfriend did what so ever she was doing inside. I glanced at them severally as we walked out and into the spacious compound.

Few minutes later, Miss Chioma was escorted outside by the secretary who locked the mini gate after her.

As she walked past us with her black handbag dangling below her shoulder and a small black nylon containing a food flask swaying along, I could see a deep since of anger and resentment exuding from her passing presence. She never spared mum nor I a glance.