Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

She's truly losing herself.

"It's Saturday Ada, come help me clean up" She murmured walking over to the deep freezer directly opposite the refrigerator she'd hidden. I nodded and walked in.

For the rest of the time we spent together in the kitchen, she barely spoke a word to me. The brief times she spoke, it was monosyllabic. Nothing more. I didn't want to impose so I played along, asking questions when necessary and avoiding staring at her for long.

She's become a shadow of herself. Yet again.

Out of the blue, I heard her murmur. "I need wisdom to tackle this. Please God make a way"

I stopped. My fingers slowly trailing the base of the plate I was washing. I glanced up at her and held unto her gaze, she was stunned to realise she'd said it out aloud. It wasn't what she wanted. She was only talking to herself. She blinked and I saw a stray tear rush down her cheek. With her palm, she wiped it away and motioned at me to get back to work.
********

Seated awkwardly in the sitting room and pretending to watch a not-so-interesting movie on MnetZone, mum's phone which laid carelessly on the centre table vibrated repeatedly while she stared at it absentmindedly. I glanced severally at her but her gaze wouldn't bulge. I sat up quickly, my hand stretched out to snatch the vibrating phone off the table but I was a second late as it stopped.

Mum's gaze was still at the spot the phone laid many seconds ago. For a moment, I wondered if she's even aware I'd taken the phone away.

I turned to the phone, lightly touching the side button and watching keenly as it flickered to life. A sky-blue skyscraper came into view with the missed call registered right at the middle of the screen.

The contact name. Sweetheart.

"It's dad" I croaked.

I coughed lightly and repeated "It's dad" This time a bit louder. I hadn't even heard the first words myself and never believed someone else would have heard it.

Mum arched her brow, her eyeballs rolling over to where I stood. Silently, she stretched her right hand to me, her face recording no expression.

Then the phone came on again.

I quickly shoved it into her stretched hand and watched as she slowly brought it to herself. Still blank faced, she slid the green call icon to her right and dad came on. She didn't leave it on speaker.

"yes?" She said quietly

A brief pause

"It's okay. Bye" And she ended the call.

"Put your sister to bed and go to sleep too"

"But dad isn't... "

"He isn't coming today nor tomorrow nor the next" She cut me off swiftly. I was confused.

"Why?"

"He said his office sent him to Lagos on an official trip, so he'd spend four days there. Before you ask another question, he'll be going from the office and wouldn't be home till Wednesday." She said and this time I could swear I saw a quick smile brush through her lips.

Why is she okay with all of this?

What is she planning?
******
We were all dressed and ready to go to school by 6:45am Monday morning. I was happier today cos mum would be taking us to school. I've missed us. I mean I've missed mum taking us to school, the pure love always recorded on her face.

At school, mum bid me farewell before turning to take Zara to her class. Even though I've said goodbye, I still followed them and I couldn't explain why. She glanced back to find me strolling behind her and just shook her head. She smiled too.