15 - The Hurt

Third P.O.V.

For the next two weeks, Elena, true to her words, left the guys to Andrew.

She was mostly inside her office or on the sites across the island, personally overlooking the maintenance work being done at some places.

It felt weird being away from the guys since she had become used to spending all of her days with them. Even now she'd occasionally start to wonder what they were doing and how they were feeling but before she could even think about meeting them, she immediately distracted herself and kept herself busy to keep her mind off them.

Right now, she was headed up the small mountain to check out the new zip-line that was just put up. It was testing day and Elena was going to try it. She drove to the sight herself on a buggy. Enjoying the summer breeze in her camouflage shots and a white tank top. Her black laced up boots and Raybans completed her look and she kind of felt badass in it.

The head of the development greeted her as she reached and started showing her around the spot. It was the highest spot on the island and the lush green Island looked even more breathtaking from up there.

The line went all the way through the island and ended near the ocean. It looked thrilling and Elena couldn't wait to try it but she had to ask about the safety concerns first.

There were too many variables to consider while launching new activities for the guests, especially guests with a high profile. If even a single thing went wrong, the island's reputation would take a hit.

After the technicians made sure that the line was safe and someone tried it, it was Elena's turn.

The workers helped her into the harness and gave her the instruction to apply the brakes. 

"You got this?" Phill, the head engineer asked her. She gave him a thumbs up and they let her go. 

A squeal of delight came out of her as she flew past the breathtaking scenery of the island. "Whoooo!!!" She screamed again and took in the view that seemed even more majestic now.

Suddenly the line shook and lowered a little and Elena's heartbeat accelerated. 'Something's wrong.'

Knowing that the line was going to collapse, Elena quickly got her mind to work. Luckily for her, the island had dense forestry with meant really tall trees. She applied the break as soon as she was near a tree and swung her self towards the extended branch in hopes of reaching it. 

Her swinging caused the zip line to lower more and  Elena managed to grab the branch. The rough bark scratched her palms but to her, it seemed better to be scratched than plummet to death. And true to her intuition, the line snapped from the starting end and fell down, the force shaking her as her harness was attached to the line. 

She let out a shaky breath as she looked down and saw how big the fall was. 'I almost died!' She thought as panic started to engulf her but her subconsciousness decided to step in at that moment, 'You can still die idiot! Focus on getting down!' She took a deep break and nodded.

Elena pulled herself up on the thick branch and very slowly and steadily crawled towards the trunk of the tree. She braced her back against it as she looked down to see the next closest and sturdy looking branch. Seeing as it was quite close, she sat down on the branch, with both her legs swinging down on one side and slowly put her foot down on the lower branch. She kept holding the branch above her with one hand, and the trunk with the other as she slowly slid down to that branch. A few happy tears escaped her eyes as she successfully sat down on that branch. It took her about 10 minutes to do that but she did it. 

"That's it, Elena, step by step." She told herself as she found the next closest branch. She was scratched everywhere as the twigs and branches hit her but she tried her best to ignore the pain. Getting down from here was the bigger priority.  

Even though the island did not have wild animals, it didn't mean that it was secure from poisonous insects and snakes. Especially the inhabited areas like the one she was stuck in. She knew that help was on the way but it would take them hours to get to her because they didn't know her position so they would follow the line through the jungle.

Keeping her focus entirely on getting down, she slid down, branch by branch until eventually her luck ran out and she slipped.

She screamed in terror as she fell down, hitting branches on the way until she fell hard against the forest floor. She laid there still, feeling as if each bone of her body was broken. Tears of pain and terror ran down her face and an hour passed by as she just laid there lifeless.

Mustering the last of her strength, she grabbed the fallen line tugged on it in such a way that the rope moved in both directions. And she just stayed there,  moving the heavy wires and eventually she couldn't even do that.

Pain, cold and fear clouded her senses and she could eventually feel herself passing out. Her last thought being of her brother as she gave into the darkness. 'I'm sorry bro...'

Author's Note

Hey guys! I'm so sorry for such a long wait but I bet you didn't see that coming! Lol.

Please let me know your thoughts and don't forget to vote, comment and follow!

Also, if you like this story, make sure you check out Once Upon A Royal Getaway. It's about a royal family spending a summer on the island. ;)