Inside Out

It's a rainy Tuesday. Jinyoung sits alone in a Starbucks lifelessly sipping on the remnants of a cold latte staring out of the large front window. Droplets race down the glass, colliding with each other and hurrying to the bottom. It's almost ironic; as the rain falls in eager droplets, so does a single tear from Jinyoung's eyes.

It's been three days since they've talked. Sure, they may have broken up, but you would expect a three year relationship to amount to more than just "goodbye."

He looks down at his iPhone, scrolls aimlessly for a moment before shoving it back into his pocket.

Don't do it. You'll regret it. He can't tell you anything he hasn't already said. It'll only hurt more.

All of these uninvited thoughts coarse through Jinyoung, stinging his already broken heart. It's one thing to be physically apart from someone, but it's a whole different story when you're emotional detached from them too - or at least trying to be.

You can love somebody so much... But you can never love someone as much as you can miss them.

Fuck, he missed Jaebum.

As the rain continues to drum away at the window, Jinyoung feels a surge of inhibition wash away from his mind; he has to do it.

He has to hear his voice. Touch him. Be in the same space as him.

He needs to.

After two nerve inducing rings, Jaebum answers the phone with a very light and forlorn voice.

"Hello?" he says, knowing already who is calling.

"It's me. Can I come over?" Jinyoung mutters with a sad hope in his voice.

"Junior, I don't know if that's the best-"

"Please."

There's a calm silence on the other end of the line before Jaebum answers with a defeated sigh.

"Yeah, sure. I'll leave the door open for you."

Another slow tear rolls down Jinyoung's face. He immediately regrets calling.

Five minutes pass as he sits in the Starbucks, giving the barista a fake smile and nod when she asks if everything is okay.

He knows he has lost the battle. He's head vs. heart, and heart is winning.

He grabs his winter coat, does the zipper up as far as it will go so that it hugs his neck and the fur lined hood envelopes his dark hair.

He waves politely to the nice staff members at the coffee shop and heads out into the cold, the door leaving a small ring behind him as it closes.

Jaebum's apartment is only four blocks away.

Jinyoung puts his head down and walks one foot in front of the other, barely paying attention as his legs bring him closer to his weakness - nothing makes him sadder, and nothing makes him happier than Jaebum.

*

When Jinyoung reaches the familiar apartment, he doesn't knock. Instead he kneels down and fishes around for the small brown key that he knows is hiding somewhere under the dusty rug. Feeling it, he picks it up and slowly pushes into the hole, his fingers cold and trembling.

The door creeks open with a eerie sound. It's dark, the windows are covered with dark grey sheets, offering little to no light to escape into the place.

"Hello?" Jinyoung says into the empty apartment, standing at the door aimlessly.

He hears the creek of floorboards in the bedroom as Jaebum answers him.