Winners Don't Lose

Yup, you're amazing author has taken precisely a month to press the publish button, but aye at least I did. Updates are gonna be slow because of something called exams, but there is definitely a chapter coming out next week because I've already written it. Also, for future reference I will probably have to make the chapters shorter if I want to update more often, but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Thx so much to magcongirlxoxo

Pls go check out her own books: Changed(ALDC)

This chapter was inspired by Kenziewhitnnie

(Ps: I'm so sad your book finished but I'm glad there are two new ones!)

***

It's Friday, the day before the competition, and let's just say I'm only slightly nervous. Despite my schedule being cram packed with dance with hardly any breaks, Jojo still manages to have more privates on the solo than me. Every time I have duet rehearsal she is practicing, and it's not that I don't like her, I'm just upset that I'm not being given an even chance against her, although I'm sure I'll win; I always do.

We've already run through the group dance and duet - although thankfully Abby didn't make me kiss Josue again this time - when Abby instructs us to perform our solos.

Mackenzie goes first. Her solo is a jazz acro routine, and she is always complaining about having acro or jazz every single time. It is entitled Paper Clips and is basically about going back to school and acting like a cool girl. If I'm completely honest it was more like a musical theatre piece, but I loved how Kenzie performed it. Her facials are slightly off and she looks pale, but it's barely noticeable.

Next is Maddie. Her lyrical piece is a play off The Wind in the Willows, hence the title Wind in the Reeds. It is pretty, but the choreography is not particularly challenging for her and I do not understand how the dance - other than the name - is related to the book. We all clap as she finishes, and then it's Jojo's and mine.

Jojo goes first and I can feel the anxiety building up in the pit of my stomach. Her toes are perfectly pointed, legs elongated and facials dramatic. Even her arms are delicate, unlike their normal strong hip hop stance.

As I get into my starting place I can feel everyone's eyes on me. It's like they're pinning me to the floor as I try to dance in vain, searching for an escape. I can feel my facials lacking, I'm rushing and my legs are half bent. Halfway through I run out the room and hide in the bathroom.

*

It's been an hour and no one has come. I've missed tap class, but I don't care. I've also missed the costume rehearsal. There is a faint knock on the door, and a voice calls through the cracking.

"Aurelia, please may I come in?" Asks Aiden. "I'm here with Holly." At least they care, I think bitterly. I know that if I let them in everyone else will want to come, but I don't have the heart to turn them away. I open it by a marginal distance and allow Holly and Aiden to slip in.

"What's wrong?" Holly asks, as they both hug me.

I clear away my tears, sensing the cameras recording everything from behind the door. "It's just I haven't had enough time this week to work on my solo and I want to win, but I can't."

"Hey, hey. It doesn't matter where you place, I'll know you've done amazing regardless. How many people in this world are able to do what you can do?" Aiden comforts me, before grinning and adding, "do you want to come down to the recording studio with me at lunch?" Smiling weakly I nod my head and we both laugh quietly.

We exit a few minutes later and the tear streaks are no longer visible. Almost instantly I am greeted by Abby. She envelops me in a hug as my mom snaps a photo.