Part Four: Fresh Friend

January 5th, 2018

     "Do you want to hang out sometime? Like, outside of school?" Julian asked me one day, while we were walking to our first period classes.

     "Sure," I said, before I even had the chance to think about my decision. "We can go to my place."

     Julian's golden brown eyes lit up. "Great," he said. "Is tomorrow, after school okay?"

     "Yeah, sounds great."

     We went to our respective classes: him, art and I, choir. I spent the entire period thinking about that small conversation. Or, rather, how quickly I had answered. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that I was okay with Julian going over to my house. But I had only met him a few days ago. It had taken me months to consider Kila my friend, simply because I was not used to the concept of friendship. And I would never consider inviting someone who wasn't my friend over to my house. Which meant that I considered Julian my friend. That confused me.

     In English class, I was completely zoned out. During lunch, neither Kila, nor Julian could get anything out of me. It wasn't until science that I finally left my daze of overthinking.

     "Sam," said Julian, "are you okay?"

     I didn't answer. Instead, I said, "Tomorrow's Friday, right? Do you want to spend the night?"

     Julian's mouth formed a small 'o' shape. After a moment, he spoke. "Sure. Why not?"

     It was definitely not like me to invite people I barely knew to stay the night at my house. But, then again, I knew a lot about him, considering I only met him a few days ago. I knew he had turned seventeen last month. I knew his last name was De Luca. I knew his parents were separated and that he lived with his dad. I knew that he had an unusual talent for art, particularly pottery. I had seen some of his works; they were amazing. So, really, Julian wasn't a stranger. He was just a . . . fresh friend.