Chapter 19: Alliance

Author's Note 

Please be aware that some of the content in this book is adult material and may be sensitive to some readers. 

Enjoy, comment, vote!

"Minnie's Meats and Meads-- sounds promising," Durward said, flashing a smile at Evie. The girl stared up at the pub with wide eyes. She was sure Cap'n Kelly's was the grimiest inn throughout all of Oren, but this one came close second. The outside was half boarded up, and it looked like the building would collapse at the slightest knock or gust of wind. There were a few whores dangling themselves out front and they looked less than inviting. One was picking her barely-there teeth with a dagger, the other was scratching behind her ear as if she had fleas, and the most comely one was propping a wooden eye back into her socket.

So far Dratsac had proven to be run down-- recovering, but run down nonetheless. When they made port, they were threatened at gunpoint to state their name and business for visiting the region. Durward charmed their way out of it, despite Evie's snapping and foul mouth when they patted her down. At first they weren't allowed to keep their weapons, but Nebula offered a pretty penny and the guards turned a blind eye. If that was the way of things in this country, it would be an expensive trip for them all.

They were in a town called Hoam, ironically named by the New Wave Dratsaci that wished to restore the country to its former glory. So far they eradicated slavery completely, and many of the ogres who were freed went back to their lives as best they could. Some fled, incase Dratsac was ever taken again, but most were too set in their ways to start a new life. One of the elves at the docks had told them about Dratsac's new horizons. He claimed to be one of the original members of the New Wave, having escaped servitude in Ofund and Gruuthar.

"You really think it's necessary to go in there?" Evie asked, hooking her thumbs in her pockets.

"Knowledge is what's necessary," Nebula said, gesturing to the pub. "And there's no better place to find it than with a bunch of drunkards who can't keep their mouths shut."

The three decided to let Kelpie man the ship, in case of any trouble. He wasn't very keen on visiting his homeland in the first place, so he happily accepted the job. Durward and Nebula entered first, Evie right behind, tossing the whores warning glances as they eyed up Lazarus.

Inside was calmer than Cap'n Kelly's, but the stench was paralyzing. It smelled of booze and wet meat and sex. Evie had to hold her breath as long as possible to keep from wretching. There were a collection of species in the bar. Ogres, nymphs, humans, hybrids of all sorts, and elves. She even thought she saw a fairy or two flying around.

In the corner of the bar was an old piano, and a young man-- probably a good ten years her superior-- tickled the keys with a calming melody. He was a deep bronze, with a striking contrast of thick, nearly black hair braided into a cropped ponytail at the back of his head. On either side of his shaved down head, within the faint baldness, tattoos covered his scalp, looking like vines growing from his mane. And down one of his arms, he was completely covered with intricate designes. He looked foolish playing such a dainty melody on the piano, but the light chatter around the room proved that the patrons had no complaints.

Behind the bar, a short, blue man with wispy fins for ears was quickly filling up tankards. He had gils on his neck and his eyes were large and watery. From his gils sprouted thin tubes that connected to a belt of water around his waist. The trio made way toward the bar and squeezed into a tight space between a pair of ogres and a whore who was drinking her sorrows away.