Chapter 4: A Brief Connection

Author's Note
Please be aware that some of the content in this book is adult material and may be sensitive to some readers. Enjoy, comment, vote!

The sound of the ocean swells was a comfort and a torture to Evie as she was led by the wrist back to the ship by Nebula. Myles shuffled close behind, not speaking, Cuinn hugging him tightly. The sun was setting past the line of ships at the docks and swirls of purple and pink decorated the sky. Soon the stars would be out, and the real energy of Shark Anchorage Port would be at its peak.

As she walked along, Evie thought back to their most recent visit to the Ciscoz Prairie Wilds. The Wilds were lush and full of strange plant life and beasts. The fairy people were indigenous to the area and ensured that no harm come to that brush of land. They often lead hunting parties for humans, elves, and ogres; they would show them the hunting grounds and educate on which beasts were in season. If they suspected someone had come to The Wilds to harm any greenery or use the land for selfish acts, they would lure them to a Siren's den, where their souls would be devoured and sent to Fastrever, their underworld, where Ushuros would damn them for eternity.

At the time, Captain Enigma had brought the crew there for a bit of sport hunting. Kelpie had been begging to cook a fresh kill from The Wilds instead of cooking up what they had bought at meat markets throughout Oren. Evie and Myles had made it a competition, and had bet three gold pieces on the first person to nab a kill. The fairies had disappointed them, however, and informed the crew that they had come during Wendigo mating season. Wendigos were vicious,  hairy beasts, with claws over a foot long and sharp teeth that could tear into leather easily. They attacked on sight and were sometimes cannibalistic towards their own, even their offspring. Their goal, as it was observed over the years, was to repopulate quickly, but it didn't stop them from turning on any species for survival, including each other. A deep scratch or a bite could cause any human to turn Wendigo. It didn't seem to have the same effect on other mythical beings. Instead, if an elf or a fairy we're to suffer such injury, they would die.

During the mating season, no one was sure of what a Wendigo might do - turn a human or eat them - and so it was a risky hunt that Enigma cared not for. But, stubborn as they were, Evie and Myles snuck out to put their bets at an end. They split, and for a long time, Evie had thought herself the loser. She spied no ferocious cannibal beasts, nor even the small scurry of a rabbit. When the morning grew near, and first light peaked through the treetops, she had heard a piercing cry by the line of the forest. Upon coming to the scene, she witnessed a dead Wendigo, dual blades protruding from its chest and belly, laid flat on its back. Next to it, Myles, bloody and clutching his ribcage, rolled in agony. Evie was sure he had been bitten, and meant to put a sorrowful end to him right then and there, but he held out a hand and exposed his wound.

"I tripped on a damn root and cut myself with my hidden blade," he cried, throwing a small steel dagger to the side. "The blood brought the Wendigo boundin and I had to fight him half dead," he explained. Evie had helped him back to the ship and then returned with Kelpie to retrieve the beast for their supper that night. Nebula tended to his wounds all through the day and into the next night, and Evie had lingered outside the door of his cabin for hours awaiting news. When he finally emerged, stitched and annoyed for missing the roast Wendigo, the blonde girl presented him with three gold pieces, and never spoke a word of it thereafter.

Now, Nebula was just as angry as she had been that day. She had every reason to toss Evie overboard after breaking her promise. She swung the girl in front of her and gave her a shove in the middle of her back once they reached the dock. They walked in a single file line onto the ship and stood just beside the plank. The elf paced in front of the two, checking her pocket watch a few times and simply thinking on how to proceed.