Princess of Novena

Start from the beginning

A knock on the door startled her lady's maid Tipi and she ran to answer the door. Tipi hadn't even gotten a word out when someone sauntered into the room. Vivia expected to find Agna with a smug smile but she was startled to see it was someone else entirely.

Hesman Novena.

"I'd like to speak with the Lady alone," he said as he stood in the middle of her living quarters. Dominance and power radiated from his body and it rubbed Vivia the wrong way. No--that wasn't dominance. It was arrogance

Vivia glanced at Tipi. "Next time slam the door in his face."

She giggled but only slightly.

Hesman didn't take his eyes off her. "That's no way to speak to your future brother-in-law."

"And that's no way to enter your future sister-in-law's quarters. I could've been indecent."

"That would've been a pleasant surprise."

Vivia blushed. "Tipi, leave us alone for a moment please." she blurted.

Tipi bowed and quickly dismissed herself.

Vivia removed the last of the pins from her hair and started to comb through the knots, something Tipi couldn't do before because of Vivia's pacing. "What can I help you with Hesman? Other than learning a few manners."

"My brother is locked away in his chambers at the moment--you know the old superstition." he rolled his eyes.

In Novena when the crown is being passed down from one living King to another, it's tradition the both men stay in their chambers, so as not to cross paths. Usually, it applies more to the younger King. Legend has it that if both monarch cross paths, the youth and years of the younger King will be absorbed by their predecessor and he will die young. Vivia always thought it to be silly but if Luc wanted to carry on with tradition she was support him. Truthfully, she'd hoped he'd come see her tonight. Apparently he wouldn't.

"I take it you have a message for me on his behalf?" she sat down at her vanity. "Out with it then."

"Actually, I came to tell you something myself." He shoved his hands in his pockets and right there, the light hitting him at this angle, Vivia could see the strong familial resemblance between him and his younger brother. It was uncanny. "Don't go tomorrow."

Her hand stilled, brush caught on a tangle of curls. She looked at him. "What?"

Hesman's eyes lazily glazed over every detail of her living quarters and she felt just as exposed as she would if she was standing naked in front of him. "The nobles are already talking. No need to make them whisper more."

"So I should cower and hide?"

"No, you should do the wise thing and wait until your own coronation." His gaze struck something deep inside her. "You can always watch through a private viewing box."

Vivia's lungs were collapsing. She couldn't breathe. Did Hesman really hate her that much that he would make her endure the humiliation of watching Luc's coronation through a private viewing box? That was where all the outcasts lived, all the people the monarchy wished to keep hidden. Spies, mistresses, bastard children, the sickly and dying. He wanted to hide her like she was some kind of disgrace...an embarrassment he was ashamed of.

Her eyes glossed over. "Truly, I do not know what I did to make you hate me so much."

Hesman stood as still as winter ice. "Vivia."

She sprinted from her seat, unable to stay still any longer. She started pacing again, her chest constricting and mind swirling. "I didn't want to go anyway. I'm only going because Luc asked me to be there by his side." she spun around to face him. "I'd respect you more if you asked me to sit in the back or simply not to attend at all. But the viewing box? Do you really think me to be so lowly? It's an insult!"

"What would be an insult to the Crown is your presence," he fired back with just as much fervor. "You are not his wife--"

"But I am not his mistress either!" she yelled.

The room fell silent.

Vivia placed her hand over her stomach, as if to keep herself from unraveling. "Forgive me, I didn't mean to raise my voice."

"I didn't mean to offend you," he replied quietly.

"It's just...." Vivia passed by him--their shoulders brushed. "Luc has already declared his intentions to marry me. I know I'm not of noble birth or an old blue blooded Lady of good breeding. But I am a respectable one. We live in separate chambers and he has never visited me at night before. Ever."

Hesman stared at her with a fire she could not quiet explain. Neither malicious or irate, she couldn't understand why his body responded that way to what she was telling him.

"We've never been together without at least one of my lady's maid present. I'm not a dirty secret he's been keeping in the shadows. I am his fiancee--his future wife. Am I not entitled to the same respect?"

Vivia was about to walk back to her vanity when he caught her by the wrist and pulled her close. He probably wanted to use his height to intimidate her but she titled her head back and stared at him. She would not yield.

Hesman caught his breath--took a long time to speak. "Hasn't it occurred to you that perhaps I'm telling you this for your own good?"

Her own good? Sitting in the private viewing box would be social suicide--almost like admitting she was lowly and unworthy. She would not do that. Vivia knew her worth and she didn't care who thought less of her. Royal or not.

"Will you be in the audience?"

Hesman clenched his jaw. "Yes."

She pulled away from him. "So you can sit with your family but I can't?"

He narrowed his eyes at her, voice tightening. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I'm sure there was a time in your life where as the King's bastard, you were subject to the same humiliation you are trying to put me through." Vivia pressed her lips together. "And from the bottom of my heart, I'm glad your father recognizes you and treats you as your brothers' equal. I only ask that you not force this upon me. It isn't right."

Hesman's silence spoke volumes. Clearly, he wasn't going to yield. Neither would she then.

"I don't have a brother of my own," she told him. "I would like to see you as one."

Saying the words a loud was a huge mistake. Hesman closed the distance between them in two long strides and seized her upper arms, bringing her so close their noses nearly touched.

"I am not, nor will I ever be, your brother." 

He released her then as if her skin burned to touch and he stormed out of the room. 

Vivia sank to the floor, strange feelings swarming around inside her. She felt his anger the moment he touched her but that anger didn't feel directed at Vivia it felt...

It felt like he was angry at himself.