Chapter 2: "You are perfect!"

Start from the beginning

"Oh alright, um David," They smiled softly, causing his heart to skip a beat. "I had noticed that we were the only ones. Where are the campers and the other camp counselors?"

"Ah, right!" It was now brought to David's attention that they were alone. Together. "Well, there's only one other camp counselor here besides myself. Her name's Gwen and shes super swell! I asked her to take the campers on a little hike through no survivors trail so I could have a one on one interview with you. They should be back by tonight!"

"No survivor-, never mind." (Y/N) reached into their bag that they had with them and pulled out the ad from the newspaper. "So David, I'd also like to ask about the pay for this job." They pointed to the the numbers the bottom of the  ad. "Will I really be getting paid this much money?"

David glanced at the ad and smiled nervously. "Hehe actually, there's a little fine print." He reached into his pocket and pulled out his magnifying glass and held it over a very tiny area of text that was directly under the the last number. It was nearly invisible. In its entirety it read:

"$8,000,000!! worth of our appreciation if you decide to join. Salary will depend on circumstance but don't get your hopes up."

It wasn't up to David what the ad actually said. Neil had taken it upon himself personally to  write the text and had asked for Gwen to look over it and make its necessary edits. He had been worried about (Y/n)'s reaction to this trickery. Mentally preparing for whoever  answered the ad to leave after finding this out. But now having met (Y/N) the idea of them leaving did not sit well with him at all. He felt as though he should apologize.

"I'm mighty sorry for the misunderstanding (y/n)! But I promise the pay here is still.. alright? Ok its not  but-"

To Davids's surprise, (Y/N) had begun to laugh. It wasn't a tiny chuckle. It was a hearty chest laugh. This laughter made David's heart skip once again. All these little quirks of (Y/N)'s would not be good for his health, that was for sure.  Their laugh was just so cute to him. it seemed to flood the hall with that same spell from earlier  but now it was echoed off the walls bringing itself back to David. They attempted to ease David in between the uncontrollable bursts by saying things like "No,No it's just that-" and "I swear that's the best thing I've heard!"This was not a resentful laugh. This was a laugh of genuine amusement. They genuinely found this funny. When they had settled down from their laughter they wiped a tear from their eye. "That amazing David~!"

"You're hired." Muttered David absentmindedly.

(Y/N) seemed surprised.  "Really?! But I barely even-."  David quickly stood and took (Y/N)'s hands in his. "Its alright! It's OK. You are ..perfect...-" David suddenly remembered himself once again. "F-for the job I mean! Uh. wait here for just one second please~!" David quickly walked away to the kitchen area. As he did,he made yet another mental note. He'd have to brace himself whenever he spoke to (Y/N).

He returned with a spare  camp counselor uniform that seemed to be the right size for them. "Here! Try on your new uniform~! There's a little shack behind the hall that you can change in."  He handed it to them quickly. He had no idea what he was getting so excited for. It was only a few minutes, but to David the wait couldn't have been less than a eternity. His nerves grew more and more. Then the idea of (Y/N)'s  changing body came into him mind. In turn, he promptly swiveled around and slammed his head in a table.

"Oh Damn! David You alright?!" He heard their voice from the door way. He peeled his head up from the wooden table and looked over at  them. The throbbing pain in his head seemed to instantly drain away upon seeing them in their uniform. It just fit so.. perfectly. They were now wearing the uniform of his most beloved camp. And they wore it *well*. David felt his face grow hot. Though now that could possibly be attributed to his currently bruising forehead. (Y/N) quickly ran into the kitchen and after a short time, returned with a small plastic bag full of ice. They helped David sit down at a bench and placed the ice on his head. "That's definitely gonna bruise," They said with a slight cringe. "Are you going to be alright David?"  They were so close. They we sitting together on the same side of the bench so close to each other. They were touching. They were asking him if he'd be OK. They were concerned...about him. If that ice weren't there he would definitely over heat. "Don't worry! A little cranial trauma  has never slowed me down before! I promise you this is not the first, nor is it the worst!"  His cheery demeanor was contagious. It caused (Y/N) to laugh again, but a softer laugh. 

(Y/N) had to leave. They had to get home and gather the rest of some papers up and pack up a few more things before they were ready to move to the camp. David insisted that he drive (Y/N) home, but they turned down the offer. Riding with someone who had just possibly gained a concussion earlier from slamming his head on a table just didn't seem all that appealing. Before they left, they put their number into David's phone. They left the uniform with David so that it would be safe until they returned. David watched (Y/n)'s bus pull off, and didn't move until it was completely out of sight. It was only then he realized that the sun had begun to set. The woods around him had taken on orange tint. The chirp of the birds was now replaced with the symphony of the night bugs. David made his way over to his cabin, (y/n)'s uniform still in hand. He planned on putting it up in his closet. But decided to wait until he gave out a text. 

He first made (y/n) a important contact. Then he went into their direct messages.  After thinking over it for a while, he finally settled on texting them a simple: 

"Good Night!"

He waited for  moment his hands shaking and sweating. Should he have sent that message? Had they read it already? What would they think when they did? Oh god what would they think of him?! As David was about to tumble into a downward spiral of self doubt, he received a reply from (Y/n): 

"Sleep tight David! :)"

Reading those words made him feel a thousand pounds lighter. Just reading a text from them was enough to make him feel as though he were floating in a most comfortable emptiness. To ground himself, he grabbed the nearest thing to him. Their uniform. He stared at it in his hands. Gently toying with fabric. They had worn this...

David sniffed the uniform gently.

His eyes snapped open. What was he thinking?! Why did he do that?! Why? Why?! Why.. did it smell so good?

Oh damn, it smelled so good.