Chapter 1: Glad you're here!

It had been a warm summers day. The sun was in the sky. The cool winds carried on it birds and the fresh crisp smell of the nature. The trees in this neck of the woods were tall and graceful with the green and yellow pines that hung off of them, covering the area in a full lush majesty. It was true. Nothing could beat the great outdoors. Already, this was shaping up to be a promising experience.  

Initially (y/n) hadn't known what to expect when they spotted the ad in the paper.  It was practically begging for more people to come and be on its staff. Hell, it was begging for more people. The ad was asking for anyone over the age of 18 to apply to be a camp counselor for the camp, 'Camp Campbell'. There was a guy on the front of the ad, who was on his knees in a classic pleading fashion. Hands grasped, eyes teary, teeth clenched the works. On top of that, he seemed to be covered head to toe in multiple different types of clothes and markings. It appeared as though he was drawn on in magic marker, and got dressed in a dark closet. He looked absolutely pathetic. (Y/N) couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor guy. However, empathy would not pay their bills.  (Y/N) skimmed over the other requirements for the job. "No past sexual offenders..," They muttered to them self out loud. "No murderers, no thieves, no CIA agents-" (Y/N)'s eyes locked onto the asking price for this job. At the bottom of the page, in big bold black letters displayed a dollar number with a very tasty amount of zeros tailing behind it. Oh yeah. This camp just totally got itself a new member on its staff. (Y/N) packed their bags, and was on the next bus over to that camp.

Walking through the gateway of the camp, (Y/N)'s eyes locked onto the wooden building that the path was leading to. It appeared to be a mess hall. Over the phone, they were told that this would be where the interview would take place.  Once inside the building,  their eyes were greeted by the quaint and humble interior. This place really did reek of a campsite in the most pleasant way. It appeared empty with no one being around. Now that (Y/N) thought about it, they hadn't seen a single person since they arrived.  Along the many tables there were rows of plates with...OK what the hell was on this plate? It legitimately looked like that stuff (Y/n) would've seen in a cartoon with it's shapeless white mushy appearance. But here it was staring them in the eye. Dead in the eye actually. Holy crap this meal had eyeballs in it. A shiver went up (Y/N)'s spine. A good lesson to be learnt here. In the future, they'd have to head to the nearest town and just get something to eat from there instead. Cold day in hell when they'd eat a mashed potato(?) with a eyeball in it.

Clearing their throat, (Y/N) called out in to the hall. "Hello? Anybody here? I came for the job interview? We spoke on the phone?" Their voice echoed off of the walls, so if anyone where here, they'd know this as well. From the back of the hall, in what seemed to be the kitchen area, there seemed to be a sudden jolt of activity. As though someone were just surprised.  "Oh hang on! I'm coming!" Sang out  a guys voice in a slightly panicked manner. The voice sounded like who they spoke to on the phone. What was his name again? Danny? Dennis? 

Bursting from out of the kitchen doors was a tall and lanky man with reddish brown short hair that came up like a rooster. His outfit appeared to be that of this particular camp's uniform, with a few extras attached on it like his neck scarf and his buttons. He seemed to be a bit clumsy as he stumbled his way over to (Y/N). "Here I am! Don't go!" He spoke quickly and stopped a few feet away from (Y/N) to catch his breath. They could now see that this was not only the one who spoke to them on the phone. But they were also the one who was on the front of that ad from earlier. He still seemed as pathetic as originally suspected. If not a little bit more.   

After a few seconds of heavy breathing, the man spoke and he began to look up at (Y/N) "I'm one of the Camp Counselors here at Camp Campbell! My name is-" As his eyes traveled up (Y/N)'s body, he seemed to trail off. His large green eyes seemed to widen with a gentleness and his cheeks took on some color. They were not able to hear that last part. The most important part. They'd have to take a guess as to their potential employers's name. 'Oh well, here goes.' they thought quietly. 

"Uh, Hi! David, right?" (Y/N) said with a bit of a nervous  smile. They outstretched their hand in a attempt at a hand shake.

 They outstretched their hand in a attempt at a hand shake

 David sounded like the correct name in their mind. But was it right one? They didn't know seeing as how he had yet to move from this position since he locked eyes on their face. He looked like he was broken in a way. The intensity of his non moving stare was making (Y/N) a little uncomfortable as they attempted to ask the question again.

"You.. are David, aren't you?" They asked again a little more cautiously.

The man seemed to be jolted out of some sort of trance as he shook his head roughly  in a obvious attempt to clear his mind. 

"Yup! Yep! That's me! I'm David! I am David! Hi! Hello! Wh- what can I help you with?" He asked leaning one the tables, a large grin spread across his face.

"The job interview?" They inquired gently. What else would they be here for exactly? Not for their own health of course.

David suddenly let out a quick nervous laugh. "Of course! That's right! I-It must've slipped my mind! He straightened up into a stand, effectively making himself taller.  "Right- lets have a seat, and get right on in to that interview!"