TMHTLY (A Hermione Granger Love Story) ... 11 -Part 1-

A/N: [Edited 2/1/2016] I really struggled figuring out what to do with this chapter. Hopefully the changes don't seem to vast from the initial idea.

Teach Me How to Love You (A Hermione Granger Love Story)

Chapter 11: Clueless Revenge

-Part 1-: Asking For Help

My whole world froze as Blaise walked away. I—I hadn't—I hadn't kissed her! She kissed me!

I knew what Caden would look like beside me. He had plucked a photo from the air. There was silence next to me as he studied it. It should only take him a moment to realize the girl on the left was me. My hair was distinguishable. He'd have a mixture of confusion and betrayal. He'd have something this side of questioning.

It would be so easy to explain it all away. Both the picture and why Zabini had said what he did.

There're consequences. He shouldn't have looked so guilty. He should've looked at me. Then I could understand why!

I couldn't get my explanation out to Caden. Anything I would say would sound like an excuse. The words wouldn't even form properly in my brain. I take my palm out of his and cover my mouth, stifling a sob quickly. Blaise wasn't supposed to go through with it. It was supposed to be a fun game; enemies helping one another. Why did he—? Why am I so hurt? I'm more hurt over—

An arm goes around my shoulders. I know it's Caden. I know and yet I flinch away from him, tense all the way through.

"Hermione."

I step away from him, in the direction Zabini went.

"Hermione, it's okay!"

I whip around and know my makeup must be uncontrollable now. I can feel the tracks of my mascara running down. Opening my mouth, I don't know what to say. I should explain it all. I know I should.

It's then that I realize that I can't explain this to him.

"I'll see you later, yeah? Bye, Caden." My smile isn't quite as happy as I'd prefer. Before I can regret it, I kiss him quickly on the cheek. The turning in my stomach hurts worse than usual. "I had fun."

That shouldn't have been a lie either.

Blaise was at the top of the staircase, huddled into an alcove. A knight statue is imposing next to him; its shadow is crossing over Blaise's face, putting his eyes deeply into black.

He seemed to be waiting for me. The picture was loosely in his left hand, his right tucked into the pockets of his slacks. Pictures swirls around my head, down the corridors and stairs. Some fizzled out of existence. The castle was recognizing that they were unwanted and a distraction. It was trying to get rid of the problem. I was thankful for the few that popped out of the air around me.

When one got too close to Blaise's face for his comfort, he casually pulled out his wand and set it aflame. As if in reciprocation of this, the rest of the photos burst into flames as well. It was a simple enough spell, even Ron could do it speechless. I couldn't tell you the name of it at the moment though my mind too blank to focus.

"Blaise," I croak off at the end. It's watery and pathetic. God, I was seeing things that weren't there. Looks that obviously didn't mean anything, words that were less harsh than ever before. Nothing is making sense.

I wanted to say, "I hate you." I wanted to hurt him. I wanted to get revenge. In a weak part of my mind, I made excuses for him.

Instead, I whispered, with my brunette hair sticking to the back of my neck, tears forming again, "Are you happy?"

Zabini's grin didn't shock me. It was the smirk and the mirth in his eyes that got to me. I was only imagining the tightness around his mouth, the practiced way he leaned against the wall. These tactics were something I had been doing without even realizing. Processing the cold looks into varying degrees had become a pastime. Years of watered-down hatred had put walls down without me even realizing. I hadn't even let myself think these thoughts completely. They hadn't been across my mind at full speed, not until now.

"I'm quite pleased, Granger. Do you want to know the icing on the cake?" Those brown eyes flashed up from the picture. I could see the names written on the back: "Hermione and Kassie." Defiantly, I shook my head until my hair came down from its ponytail.

"The icing, my sweet mudblood," it hit a bit harder than it should have, "is that your Bone is the one who helped me break into the Gryffindor commons. Which, if I might add, is where I found this little gem!" In his hand, Blaise lifted the photo.

Blaise flicked it over the distance. Numbly, I caught it, only slightly surprised that I was able to.

Looking into his eyes once more, I surprise him with a small smile and, "Thanks."

Despite the ever present weight in my stomach, I knew revenge was going to be a real bitch.

I'd laid in my bed for two days.

I'd been lying to myself about Blaise for two years.

It'd been a series of one-off thoughts and compliments marred as prejudice comments. Merlin, I was so stupid. Luna must have known. She must have.

My eyes had never been so dry and my mind so muddled.

I straighten my shirt one more time. One more deep breath. No, one more. How about another straightening of the t-shirt? Yes, check. Okay, left foot. Now, right foot. That's it Hermione, you can do it. Just keep walking. It won't be so bad. All you have to do is ask. It's not as if she too just found out she'd had a crush on her biggest enemy—

Wow, Hermione, shut up.

Keep walking. Almost there. Three more steps, wait two; hold on, one.

Here you go, she's looking at you from the bench. That's it, just say it. It's only five, no seven words. C'mon, spit it out before she stands up and walks away. Or before Blaise notices you talking to her.

"Can I help you?" was the first thing that came out of the other girl's mouth.

I took a deep breath. Okay, you've got this Hermione.

"Pansy," I took a pause, straightened my shirt again, "I need your help with something."

The shorter girl raised a brow as if to say, "With what?"

I smirked, though a bit hesitantly. "Revenge."

======

Love and fireworks,

unique-goddess