For Whom the Bell Tolls

Start from the beginning

        “Team Rocket…is here?” Jen felt herself pale. This day was going from bad to worse for her, and it didn’t look like it was going to get any better any time soon.

        Ghetsis slowly began to stand from his chair, but froze when he noticed someone standing behind Jen’s chair. Jen couldn’t look to see who he was staring at due to the back of the chair being too large, which, in a way, was fortunate for Jen.

        “Good afternoon, Ghetsis.”

        Jen’s blood ran cold. She’d recognize that voice anywhere. Giovanni walked up to Jen’s chair and rested a hand on the wooden top. If he looked or even glanced down, just a little bit, he would be able to spot Jen.

        As quietly and carefully as she could, Jen slid lower and lower into her seat. “I’m not here. Please don’t look down. I’m not here.

        “You’re making a rather bold move coming here and stealing from me, Giovanni. You and your grunts are going to regret ever stepping foot into my headquarters.”

        Giovanni smirked. “Don’t worry, Ghetsis. This will not be your base for much longer.”

        Ghetsis’s eyes widened with anger. He produced two Pokeballs from his robe and summoned his Pokemon. “Eelektross! Cofagrigus! Attack!”

        “Nidoking! Kangaskhan! Counter and show them no mercy!” Giovanni barked.

        Within seconds, the room had turned into a battlefield between the leaders’ Pokemon. The only Pokemon that Jen did not see in the skirmish was Giovanni’s Persian. The table and furniture were destroyed as both Giovanni’s and Ghetsis’s Pokemon tore into each other. Literally! Jen had never seen a Pokemon battle become as violent as this one.

        All of their Pokemon were huffing and puffing, trying desperately to stay on their feet…and remain alive. Just about all of them were bleeding from deep wounds now.

        “This…is…sick.” Jen growled as her being went stiff with anger.

        Colress crept over to Jen and dragged her out of the room. He stopped just outside of the doorway so he could still watch the carnage. “Is this not marvelous? Never before have I seen a Pokemon battle as brutal as this. These Pokemon have just about reached their full potential…and all without the help of my machine!”

        Jen scowled at him. “How can you possibly say something so horrid? Those Pokemon are slaughtering each other and you…you…you don’t even give a shit about them!”

        Colress looked at her with a rather stunned expression. “You sound just like N.”

        “We need to stop them!” Jen growled as she tried to rush back into the room.

        Colress grabbed Jen's arm before she could run back into the chaos. “You really don’t want to go back in there, my dear. You could get injured or even killed.”

        “But the Pokemon! Put me down!” Jen screamed and kicked as Colress’s Beheeyem kinetically lifted her off of her feet.

        “This way, Beheeyem. We must protect my device.” Colress ordered.

        “W-Wait! Why are you taking me? Put me down!” Jen cried as Colress and his Pokemon ran for the laboratory with her suspended in tow.

        “If I left you, you would only return to the battle.”

        “And why do you care if I go back?” Jen hissed. “I thought you guys didn’t care about those who weren’t a part of your group.”