Chapter Thirty Two

Start from the beginning

"How does your dad like aunty Chioma?"

Silence.

"How do you know he likes her?"

She jumped on the cushion, making me cringe as my buttocks shook at the sinking pressure her jumps were creating.

"Daddy said. I like you so much. Daddy said I like you a lot and a lot"
She said spreading her hands in the air.

I could feel mum's heart jump into her stomach as her countenance changes from bad to worse.

As for me, I just felt disgusted and indifferent. I wanted to be surprised and maybe angry, but I wasn't. I was just normal.

But then my thoughts went haywire and for long moments, I couldn't stop myself from thinking.

Was this why he has insisted on going for school run?

Was this why he rejected the idea of a school bus?

Was this the reason for his change in attitude and late comings?

Many questions were running through my mind but one that stood out was "Who's aunty Chioma?

Deep down my heart, I kept praying it isn't who I think it is. My guess was Zara's class teacher! The truth is that I'd smelt this friction between them but had innocently cautioned myself since I truly hoped dad has changed; I wanted to give him a brand new chance. I was wrong.

"Ada!" Mum bellowed.

I jumped out from my misery thoughts and turned to face a broken mum.

"Tell me my daughter, is there anything unusual about your dad and Zara's teacher?" She asked searching my face for clues. Immediately mum mentioned Zara's teacher, I knew it was my confirmation.

"Nothing ma! None that I know of" I replied keeping a blank face.

I knew in my heart my initial suspicions were right and that I was stupid not to have listen to my spirit. How I hate disobeying my instincts.

"I will dig it mum, just relax." I paused looking up to hold her gaze. "Maybe there's an explanation for all of this. Maybe it isn't what we're thinking so lets wish for the best mum, ok?" I consoled her.
******

The next day dad dropped us at school, I stayed back at the pre-
nursery section to see what would happen but dad left in a haste without even saying good morning to Zara's teacher. I began to think maybe Zara overheard wrongly, so  I left to my class with a huge part of this burden lifted off my chest.

After school, dad came as usual to pick us up. I was at our section when a security man came to inform me that my dad was around and waiting.

Dad was parked very close to the gate and as I made the curve through the dwarf fence, I could see his frame sitting with all intensity on his seat. I could make out Zara who was crouched behind him, maybe asleep.

I walked behind the car which gave me a bit of an edge since he wouldn't see me unless he makes use of his side mirror, which he was unfortunate not to be paying attention to. I wanted to surprise him cos I truly loved how he gasps whenever I do that.

Moving past the nursery block, I marched towards the gate nonchalantly when I suddenly noticed a shadowy movement, like two bigger heads swaying sideways as though in a fit of laughter. My heart throbbed faster and I increased my pace.

Dad was the first to see me and just then Miss Chioma, Zara's class teacher stepped out of the car.

I frowned.