Chapter 7: The First Meet

I woke up to my phone ringing. I groan and pick it up. "Hello?"

"Rise and shine, princess!" A familiar deep voice says through the phone.

"Wha-?" I muffle, "Who's this?"

"Oh, forgot to tell you, during detention I might have took your phone and got your number," the voice says. "You should really put a passcode on that thing."

I have come to realize that I've only gone to detention with only one person in particular. "Derek? Is that you?"

"Yes, yes it is. Today is a very special day...I'm coming over! Yay!"

"Hold up. Say what?" I was now up and out of my bed.

"Don't you want to start the project?" he says.

"Y-Yes I do but I didn't know we would start today," I say, "and when did you start caring about homework?"

"I never did. In fact, I'm just coming over to see that beautiful face of yours." I could almost see him smirking through the phone.

"Stop that," I say rather frustrated. "Anyway, do you even know my address?"

"Yup," he says popping the "p".

"Wait how-" before I could say anything, he cuts me off by saying, "See you in ten." Then the line went dead.

"Ugh! He's unpredictable," I say as I began to get ready. I showered and changed into my black v-neck, black jeans, and my black converse. Yup. I feel like wearing black today. I then brush my hair and hop downstairs.

"Sup," Aaron says as he watches T.V. on the couch.

"Uh. I'm going to have my science partner over today," I say.

"Cool. Who's your partner?" He says not taking his eyes of of the T.V.

Oh god! What will I say? I know he hates Derek, but I'm going to have to tell him sooner or later. "Um." I began to say, "We were assigned partners and she kinda paired us up with the opposite gender. So..."

"You mean to tell me you're going to have a guy over?" He says still looking at the screen.

"Not any ordinary guy...it's-" I was cut off with the doorbell ringing. "I'll get that," I say as I walked to the door. I opened it and Derek was there leaning against the door frame.

"Well, hello," he says smirking.

"Alex who's...Derek?" My brother says surprised.

"Um Aaron. Derek's my partner," I say scared of what both boys will say next.

Derek's smirk became wider and said, "Hello, Aaron."

Aaron looked pissed and was about to say something before my mom came up to us. "Oh, hello there! Alex who's this young man?" She says gesturing to Derek.

"He's my science partner, mom. Derek meet my mom. Mom this is Derek," I say nervously.

"Good morning, Mrs. Smith," Derek says while extending his hand to her.

"Oh what lovely manners. Hello to you too." my mom shakes his hand smiling. "Well you two should get started on your project. So go on up into Alex's room, I'll bring you guys snacks later on."

"Thank you," Derek says as we head upstairs.

"But mom-" Aaron starts.

"No buts. Let them do their work first," my mom protests and Aaron grumbled.

Derek and I walk into my room. I close the door as Derek sat on my bed.

"So Mr. Iwannastarttheprojectrightnow, what project do you have in mind?" I say rolling my eyes.

"I don't know."

"Hmm..." I say.

"Hey! What about a rocket?" he suggests.

"Probably everyone has that in mind. What about a volcano?"

"Volcano...not bad ok let's get started," he says.

He was acting really weird. First, he acts like he cares about the project then he agrees with whatever I say. I wanted to know what was going on so I asked, "Why are you acting different?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well you're being nice and well not the old you."

"Don't worry about that right now. We have a project to do," he says smiling.

***

We finished all the research and the report. All we needed was to build the model. 

"Well, all we need is the second part of the project," I say as I turn to look at him.

"Yeah," he says looking into my eyes like he was searching for something.

It was getting awkward but then my mom saved the day. 

"Hey, kiddos. Are you guys done?"

We broke eye contact and I swore I turned a little red.

"Yes. Well all we need is the second half of the project but we'll save it for another day," Derek says.

"Wow, you're fast! I got you some snacks," my mom says handing us some chips, soda, and pizza. 

"Thank you, Mrs. Smith," Derek says.

"You're very welcome," she says as she leaves the room.

Another awkward silence kicked in before I broke it, "When will our next meet be?"

"Um, not sure. I'm busy next weekend so maybe two weeks from now?" He asks.

"Sure. Um I'll give you a call then," I say awkwardly. I don't know what it is but everytime I see Derek I get this weird feeling. Our meet was coming to an end. Derek left and now I lay down on my bed as I rethink about the tingly feelings. I gotta call Victoria.

@@@

Derek's P.O.V.

Damn...I don't think I can keep this 'good guy' thing going. The first time I saw her, she caught my eye. All I wanted was attention from her. That is the reason why I even threw that stupid football at her. She probably hates me now. I wonder how this will turn out for me.