Chapter 16

"The mother of your....what?" I gulp. I pick up my fork and place it on the plate.

"She's pregnant with my baby." He says, looking anywhere but at me.

I have no right to be mad at him, and I'm not mad at him. But, why does it feel like a knife just got stabbed into my chest?

"I don't know what to say." I tell him, honestly.

"I don't know what else to say, either...."

"Why is she is Los Angeles?" I ask.

He sighs. "I met her one night at the beach and one thing lead to another...." He trails off.

"At Gulf Shores beach?" I ask. That's not too far from where we live. It's in Alabama.

"Yes. She was vacationing with the some friends." He pushes his plate away from him.

"You barely ate anything." I tell him. His plate is almost completely full.

"Neither did you." He tells me, while looking at my plate. He's right.

"I guess we should get some to go boxes. We can save it for later." I tuck a strand of my brown hair behind my ear.

He nods, but doesn't say anything. I get the waitresses attention and ask her for two to go boxes. It doesn't take her long and she's back with them. I tell her thank you. I hand Bryce his to go box and he takes it. We both start putting our food into the to go boxes, silently. Without another word, we get up from the booth. I leave a tip. When we get back to my car there is still an awkward silence surrounding us.

"So, you don't really know this girl that well?" I ask, once we are back in the car. We are still parked at the Waffle House.

"No. We only saw each-other that one day at the beach..." He is looking down at his lap.

He seems so ashamed. My heart aches for him.

Wait, what?

"How did you find out she was pregnant?" I ask.

"She found me on Facebook."

"Wow." I breathe out.

"Yeah....." His eyes meet mine. "I can't believe that I was so stupid, Olivia."

"You were stupid, but, at least, you are owning up to what you did." I tell him.

"I guess...."

"You could have just ignored her and let her do it all on her own." That would have been awful.

"I would never do something like that." He tells me, his eyes never leaving mine.

"That's good to know." I give him a small smile.

He looks down at his phone and sighs.

"Why don't you call her?" I ask.

"She told me that she would text me the details of where to meet her. She's supposed to go in tomorrow to have the baby." He sighs, heavily.

"Is she having a C-section?"

"Yes. The doctors are pretty sure that the baby is breech."

"Is it going to be a girl or a boy?"

"Boy."

I lean over and wrap my arms around his neck. I think he needs a hug right now. His body tenses up as I hug him, but after a moment he wrap his arms around me.

"You are going to be a great dad." I whisper.

"Thank you, Olivia." He whispers back.

"Are you sure that the baby is yours, though?" I ask, randomly.

I pull back from our embrace.

His eyebrows shoot up. "I never thought to question her that because she went so far out of the way to find me. I figured that I must be the father."

"Well, you don't really know her. So, maybe you should check into that....." I hope that he isn't getting mad at me for suggesting this.

"The baby is coming tomorrow, Olivia."

"I know. Be there for her and the baby, but you should also be cautious because she is basically a stranger."

"I didn't expect your reaction to be anything like this."

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" I laugh.

"A good thing." He gives me an intense gaze that I can't look away from....

" He gives me an intense gaze that I can't look away from