The Model Next Door: 1

Going to a new college is way easier than shifting into a new apartment all on your own. Well basically it started like this, I got into a good college and my parents were very happy about it but then that happiness faded when I said, "I want to have an apartment of my own".

"NO!" my father said, angrily.

"But why?"

"Because you're a girl—"

"Oh please! You allowed Ashton to get an apartment last year."

"That because he's a boy and he can take of himself."

I turned to my mom. She was sitting on the chair with her head in her palms.

"Mom, please! This is too much. Some day you'll have to let me go."

She looked up wearily, and her eyes flickered to my dad's, "Let her, Simon. We can't keep her tied to us forever."

I wanted to shriek with excitement---which I silently did. I turned around to see my dad's reaction. He looked calm and troubled. I am my dad's favorite and that's probably the reason why he cares about me so much that he does not want me to get an apartment but he does not mind if I stayed in a hostel. How sweet!

"Very well," he raised a hand when he saw that I wanted to jump. "But on one condition?"

"Okay anything!" I agreed happily.

"You'll have to call me every day, If not then every weekend. And you'll inform me and your mother about your whereabouts... and you'll be honest with us."

"OKAY!" I was ready to run but he stopped me again.

"I mean it, Emilia, these are not just words..." he whispered, painfully.

And that's when I could not take it anymore. I ran and hugged him so tight with tears streaming down my face.

"You'll always be my best friend, dad," I sobbed.

"I love you, baby girl," he tried to sound normal, but his voice was thick enough for me to understand that he was silently crying too.

And that's it. After that my dad helped me to get an apartment. And we got one that was ten minutes away from college in Silicon Oasis. It was a single bedroom apartment. But I was happy about it until I came to know I had to shift on my own since my loving brother had met with an accident the day before I was supposed to leave. So, my parents had to rush.

And now here I was all alone standing in front of the door.

I pulled out the key and pushed it in the lock. I turned the knob and opened the door. My uncle said the apartment was good enough for a single woman. I don't know what he meant by that but it was definitely small and cute. At the entrance was a squared place probably to watch TV, in other words my new hall. There was a door to my left and one on the right. I decided to check out the one on the left first.

It was my new bedroom, slightly bigger than the hall. It had an inbuilt wardrobe, including a private bathroom. I don't think I had ever been so excited in my life before. I quickly ran out to check the other room. It was a kitchen. Big enough for me and my cooking and it had a balcony too! That was something I was totally not expecting. After touring around the house I went back out and pulled my luggage in. I shut the door after everything was in and put my hands on my hip and looked around the house once more. It was time to shop!

The next three days were a blur. I went out to a furniture shop, got myself a comfortable second-hand black sofa, a tiny table and a 32-inch LED TV. I had the wireless installed not before I almost fought with DU for their terrible service and then decided to go with Etisalat. It was pricier, but well better customer service. Then I bought the necessary cookery items for the kitchen, a stand to hang the clothes, hangers for the wardrobe, and a beautiful double-sized bed. I could have saved money and gone for a single one but I it was love at first sight.