Chapter 8

(In Eli’s room)

I yanked off the burnt clothes -more like rags now- Eli had remained quiet since I left the canteen, leaving me to ponder about various things. The shower was calling to me but I wanted to choose a new style for my body so that people could differentiate me to Eli. Why should we be different people? We could try again...

No, I yelled back.

*flashback*

It was during our old counselling sessions that the helper tried to get us to link as one in the same body.

"You need to push yourselves, you need to emotionally be at peace before you can link," the helper chanted on. For weeks we'd been trying but Ava's anger always overpowered me, I couldn't tell whether she forced her anger onto me or she did it unconsciously, either way it made trying to “link” extremely difficult for us both. Remember to breathe, Ava said smugly. My legs were bouncing slightly with anticipation as I breathed quickly, preparing myself. “Wait, wait……NOW!” shouted the helper. In a split second me & Ava pushed our consciousness’ outwards, reaching to each other across the void that separated us.  I screamed as the burning sensation of her raw power clashed against my own calming power. Our body smacked into the soft beige carpet as we shook from the experience. I could feel the powers mixing together, our minds melding. It was electrifying. We can do this! The thought didn’t come from Ava alone, it was a thought from us both, as one single mind. It was working, this was the furthest we had come….but I could feel Ava’s power beginning to burn. My body was catching alight. A wall of fire spread from around my form, getting higher and higher. The helper screamed in fear and ran to the door, the immense energy of fire was consuming the room. Fire destroyed the walls and the surrounding floorboards. My body was shaking. Blood escaped through my nose and ears. NO, ELI HOLD ON!

*Flashback over*

“You know why we can’t,” I muttered out loud. Her emotions were leaking through the barrier between our consciousnesses. Please, we can’t keep going like this. This is ridiculous! I knew once I became the dominant mind that I couldn’t ignore her thought and I knew that…she was right. “We nearly died last time,” I stated whilst putting on new boxers and a new bra. We’re better now, it was a year ago Ava. I put on a t-shirt to cover my torso “You mean I am stronger, you can’t withstand my power for more than a few moments without blacking-out or nearly dying,” She hated being weaker than me but she allowed her emotions to take control whereas I only let my anger in to fuel the fire as it were. Emotions aren’t a weakness Ava, they define who we are. Which is why we should be as one not two separate warring minds who are in a constant battle to stay in balance. “If you can find a way to boost your power then we could link but until then, just forget it,” She had no snappy retort to my words. After searching through every draw of clothes Eli had, I found a pair of tough skinny jeans almost as if made for some kind of combat. I tried them on only to rip them at the knees, at first I was annoyed but after a moment of glancing in the mirror, I began to love them. Almost perfect…just like us. I smiled at her thought. “Now what to do with this matted mess?” I asked, pointing to my hair. Before I could make a move I felt Eli tug at my being, I collapsed to my knees gasping for breath as I was pushed back by her.

Eli’s P.O.V

“That’s better,” I smiled. I yanked and winced as my head ached in pain with every brush stroke; eventually I managed to scrape it into a high ponytail leaving the end of it to tickle my neck. I marvelled at my image in the mirror, I wasn’t too skinny (which annoyed me) neither was I extremely large an almost perfect figure in my eyes but the burns that decorated my arms always held everyone’s constant attention. They went from the edge of my fingertips in a strange spiral pattern all the way to my upper arm, it was beautiful but horrific if you knew they’re story. *Knock knock* I nearly screeched.

“Yes?” I called out.

Kat burst through the door “Are you Ava or Eli?” I replied with my name, she let out a long sigh.

“Ava nearly killed jess today, you know she will not let that go plus you’re hanging around with that hottie with a bootie,” She smiled after the word “bootie”. “I know she won’t that why…I want to try linking again,” her jaw dropped.

“You can’t; you nearly burnt the entire building down…wait no was that Ava or? I’m so confused?”

“That was my fault, I can’t withstand her power or her anger so I need to a way of amplifying myself so that I can,” I gave her a sad face and gently tugged at her arm. “Oh no no no!”

“Kat, if you do this then I’ll sneak you food plus if I get stable I can leave this place and so can you...I mean I’m sure if I give you credit then you’ll…”

“NO-ONE LEAVES THIS PLACE! Don’t you get it? There are no other wards or any way of leave…I did a little investigating, I saw where they take people…” Someone burst through the door, interrupting her as she had done to me.

“Kat Erikson?” asked a tall man in a white suit from the doorway.

“Yes, sir?” She replied.

“You need to come with me for examination, we think you could be candidate for ward 2,” Her face went deadly pale. She stammered for words, shaking but didn’t move forward. “Miss Erikson, if you don’t come with me then I’ll be forced to remove you; don’t you want to leave this place?”

I went to move her forward when she span round and dug her nails into my arm, “it’s all a trap...it’s all lies...why don’t you think there are any guards or proper staff….there is no ward-” The man clamped his hand over her mouth a shoved a needle into her shoulder. I tied to scream but no noise came out. “I’m very sorry for this Miss Black but this patient needs to be taken for examination, she may be ill,”

I couldn’t move just watch as the suit slung Kat over his shoulder and walked out, closing the door behind him. I was alone in my room. My heat boomed wildly in my chest, resonating throughout the room.