14. | Head Witch in Charge

Comincia dall'inizio

"Collins, what are you doing-"

"We were given clear orders that should anything happen to Madam Varma that we would follow your word as the leader. So, Madam Dagny, what are your orders?"

It was definitely the last thing she had expected at that time, especially as she still had tears streaming down her face. She didn't think that Abhaya would have made such a bold statement to leave her in charge just in case, after all, there were Aurors twice her age that were far more experienced in the field than Duffy. But in the current moment, none of the Aurors were putting up any sort of protest due to her age, they were looking to her for instructions.

Looking over at Steve, perhaps she was hoping that his leadership skills would rub off on her for a few seconds, but he just looked confused with the situation. Swallowing nervously, Duffy knew they didn't have any more time to waste with the current state of the city and with the Chitauri still coming out of the portal. Facing her fellow Aurors, she straightened her back to stand as tall as she could.

"Right, what is the status of the portkeys that were being placed around the city? What are the travel points?"

"We have most of them leading into the mountains currently," Collins answered her, bringing Duffy to nod.

"Alright, I need portkeys to all nearest hospitals, I don't care if the injured is a No-Maj or not, get them in there and get them healed. The Obliviators will have their hands full, but we'll worry about that later. Don't let any No-Maj leave the Healers without being cleared by an Obliviator."

"But what about the city?" one of the others called out from the back.

"Unfortunately, we can't do much for the city without that portal being closed which is what we're trying to work towards. My concern is getting the people to safety, the buildings can be repaired, but the people can't be if they lose their lives. Start an evacuation to safer locations, get the injured to the hospitals, and in the meantime, get people underground for their safety until they can be moved."

They all seemed to nod their heads and one by one, disapparated from the scene, leaving a few behind. She took a step towards them and pointed in the direction of the Stark Tower.

" I don't believe our magic will work against the Tesseract, it's foreign and extremely powerful. But keep the area clear unless they are working to shut it off. If a man in green robes and horns on his head shows up, beat the living shit out of him and tie him up with every restraint spell you know."

Turning back to Steve, she could see that he was getting an incoming message. "Captain," Clint's voice rang in his ear, " the bank on 42nd past Madison, they caught a lot of civilians there."

Steve nodded his head in confirmation. "I'm on it."

He turned to Duffy, about to tell her he was leaving to go help, but when he turned to her, he saw her hand outstretched towards him, waiting for Steve to take it.

"You're going to want to hold on tight, Captain," she grinned at him, " usually the first time spooks people."

Not understanding what she meant by that, he offered his hand unsure of what she was going to do. But within just a split second, he had an idea of what she meant as he found himself being ripped from where he had been standing. He suddenly felt the urge to scream out, even though he refrained from doing though and while his grip loosened, he felt Duffy tighten her hold, a clear sign that letting go was not something he wanted to do.

If anyone asked him to describe how it felt, Steve could only compare it to being pushed out of a tube of toothpaste as he felt he was being pushed from all different directions. There was such a pressure around his body that he felt as though he was about to burst at any given second if it didn't let up. But the only relief was that it didn't last very long. Even though it felt like an eternity to Steve, it had only been a matter of a few seconds before he found himself standing back on the sidewalk. Duffy was at his side, finally letting go of his hand and offering a sympathetic look.