12.| Fight or Flight

As Steve moved forward with every intention of making his way up to the Stark Tower to stop Loki himself, Duffy reached out and grabbed Natasha by the arm

As Steve moved forward with every intention of making his way up to the Stark Tower to stop Loki himself, Duffy reached out and grabbed Natasha by the arm. It had been a bold move without her realising as Natasha didn't really take too kindly to anyone grabbing her off guard, but rather than getting flipped away, Duffy let go at a lightning speed. She wore an apologetic expression on her face as Natasha turned to her, curious as to why the witch wasn't running or at least, moving to do something.

"Please," Duffy breath, her eyes darting around nervously at the sound of explosions in the distance, " please tell me that Duncan is alright. That's he's safe."

While the comparison wasn't made out loud, Natasha could relate to Duffy's worry over her partner, it had probably been the same feeling that had been clogging up in her chest since Clint was compromised by Loki. She was more than relieved to have him back safely, even if it did take her knocking him out cold to get the job done. It was clear that Duffy and Duncan shared a close relationship, whether it was a strong friendship or something more, it wasn't any of Natasha's business, but at least she could reassure the young woman that her friend was, indeed, safe.

"He's alright," Natasha told her, " he remained back on the helicarrier to help heal those that were wounded during the attack."

Duffy placed her hand on her chest and let out a sigh of relief. "Oh, thank Merlin," she said, " thank you."

However, her relief was soon replaced with a heightened sense of caution as they looked up to the portal in the sky and saw something massive coming out of it. As if the Chitauri that had been unleashed before hadn't done enough damage, a long creature with its own battle armour came soaring out, its tail end reminded Duffy of an alligator or a crocodile with the way it curved with its ridged edges. It came swooping down, almost down to the street level and leaping out from what appeared to be multiple chambers, were more of the Chitauri that went to leap onto the skyscrapers.  

Yet as they went to hit the buildings, they were repelled by a force that knocked them straight to the ground. Duffy cheered in triumph, bringing the group to look back at her, only to see her smiling in the distance.

"My people and I have been putting up protective barriers around the city," she told them, " I don't know how long they'll last against the Chitauri, but it buys us some time to get the people to safety. We can't evacuate all of New York, but we can at least keep the people as safe for as long as possible. Do we have a plan?"

The trio before exchanged glances before Steve pressed his earpiece to get in touch with Tony.

"Stark, are you seeing this?"

"I'm seeing," Tony's voice rang out, " still working on believing. Where's Banner, has he shown up yet?"

"Banner?"

"Just keep me posted."

Duffy started looking around, raising her wand to continue putting up the protective barriers, she could see that after several hits from the Chitauri that they would collapse, as she said, it was only buying them time to get the civilians to safety. The Chiatauri on the ground wasted no time in opening fire, leaving her to use the protective spell for herself as well. Loki had taken to the skies and while she wanted nothing more to go after him, it was the people on the ground that needed her the most.