BONUS - Wes

Wesley Brooks (Age: 21)

He'd spent almost a year in the basement hospital room, watching her sleep.

What else was he supposed to do? He'd been put on indefinite leave until further notice and without any family or close friends, all he'd had to do was watch over her. All he wanted to do was be near her.

She was the closest he had to family.

And she couldn't even speak.

Next to him, the heart monitor gave a slow, steady beat. Every day, he thanked the Creator for that incessant noise.

He rolled up her left short sleeve, spotting the Ivy Acemark winding her arm to the shoulder—there, near where the ivy threaded along her bicep, a small arrow Acemark graced her skin.

Thank Creator for small victories.

Behind him, the door to the tiny hospital room opened.

"Agent Brooks?"

It was Dr. Freed. "The general is here with a direct order from the Commander."

So that was it then. Finally, they wanted him back. "You'll watch over her?"

"Of course, Sir."

"You'll tell me if anything changes." It wasn't a question. If she started to react, if the mark began to fade...

Dr. Freed must've noticed where his thoughts had gone. "We have a tank ready, should it be needed."

A plan B. The government always had a plan B. "That's not what I asked."

Dr. Freed coughed and shifted on his feet. "I will alert you if anything changes."

He nodded and slowly got out of his chair. It felt like in this last year alone he had aged 25 years.

21 was too young to feel this old.

"Sir...they're waiting for you."

He looked once more at Aria, asleep peacefully, and walked out to his future.