The grin returned to his face.  "Has anyone ever told you how pretty you are, Kathy?"

"Mr. Graves-"

"Ah ah ah."  He protested, wagging his finger at her.  "Call me Victor."

Katherine shook her head.  "I'm not supposed to address adults by their first name.  My mom says it's rude."

Victor chuckled softly and placed his other hand on her thigh.  "Then we won't tell her."

Katherine's throat swelled and her heart began pounding hard against her chest.  She thought about her mom and how worried she must be that she hasn't returned home yet.  She wanted to scream and jump out of the car, but she was too terrified to move. 

"Vincent is lucky to have a beautiful friend like you."  Victor said, moving his hand from her hair to her face.  "He must enjoy looking into those lovely blue eyes of yours...," He gently rubbed his thumb over her mouth.  "And I know he would love to taste these soft lips."

"It's not like that, Mr. G-Graves.." Katherine squeaked, "We're just friends.  That's all."

Victor leaned his head into hers and whispered in her ear, "I would have a hard time just being friends with a girl like you, Kathy."

Katherine pulled her head away with a gasp.  "I want to go home.  Please, take me home."

"Why, Kathy?  What's your hurry?"

"Y-you're making me uncomfortable."

Victor's eyes widened for a moment as he studied her frightened face, then he threw his head and began laughing.  "Silly girl!  I was just fooling around with you.  I'm a police officer, Kathy.  I would never do anything to hurt you."

Katherine averted her eyes from his.  "I guess.., but I don't think you're supposed to touch me."

"I'm just getting to know you, Kathy."  He said, removing his other hand from her thigh.  "But if the touching makes you uncomfortable I will not do it again.  You have my word."

"Thank you, Mr.-"

"Ah ah ah!"

"I mean, thank you, Victor."

"You're welcome, darlin.  Now then, let's get you home before your mama starts to worry."

He pulled his patrol car out of the vacant driveway and drove another block until he reached Katherine's home.  The living room light shined from one of the front windows and he could see the silhouette of her mother pacing back and forth with a telephone in her hand. 

"Uh-oh....looks like we're too late.  She must be on the phone with my mom asking where you are."

"Yeah." Katherine said, quickly unbuckling her seatbelt.  She reached for the handle to open the door, but her wrist was roughly grabbed before she had the chance. 

Victor's grip tightened when she tried to pull away.  "You're not gonna be able to open that by yourself.  The handle is jammed."

He reached his other arm across her body, his hand still holding onto her wrist, as he pulled the handle to open the door.  His eyes captured hers one more time before he let her out of the car.  "Remember what I said about being a friend to my son, Kathy.  Be there for him when he needs you, or else things might get bad."

Katherine's chest tightened again.  Was that a threat?

"Oh, and I would prefer if you didn't tell your mother about our little conversation this evening."

"Why not?"

"Don't ask questions, Kathy.  Just do what I tell you and everyone will be happy."

"Y-yes Sir."  Katherine answered, fearing for her safety.  He was definitely threatening her!

"There's my good girl."  He said, smiling.  "I knew I could count on you."

He climbed of the car and helped Katherine out of the passenger seat, wrapping his arm around her shoulders as he escorted her to the front door.  He knocked on the door three times, and her mother immediately opened it. 

Victor smiled when he saw her, for she was as beautiful as her daughter. 

"Oh, Katherine!"  She cried, pulling her daughter into her arms so fast that she didn't notice the faint tears in her eyes.  "I'm so glad you're back.  Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine."

"Good."  Her mother said.  She released her and looked over at Victor.  "Thank you so much for bringing her home.  I hope she wasn't any trouble."

"Not at all, ma'am."  Victor insisted, "She is a very sweet girl."

"Thank you."  She said, pushing the front door open further.  She scoot Katherine inside and shut the door, her eyes filling with tears as she looked back at Victor.  "I'm so sorry to hear about your wife.  I can't even imagine what you and your poor children are going through."

Victor pursed his lips shut and tears swelled in his own eyes.  He immediately threw his hand over his face.  "I-I'm sorry.  I usually don't cry in front of people, but-"

"Shhh...don't you worry about that."  She said, wrapping her arms around him.  "You cry as much as you need to."

"Thank you."  Victor said weakly, his smiling mouth buried in her left shoulder.  "I really appreciate your kindness, Miss-"

"Call me Molly."

"Thank you, Molly.  You're very kind."

"Don't mention it."  Molly said, pulling away so that she could look into his eyes.  "I know this isn't much, but my home is open to you and your family anytime you need anything."

"Oh, Molly.  We couldn't impose."

"You wouldn't be imposing!"  Molly insisted, "It's the very least I can do.  Your son has been a wonderful friend to my Katherine."

"I'm certainly glad to hear that."  Victor said, "And I'm sure we will take you up on your very generous offer very soon."

"Great.  Well, I guess I'd better to check on Katherine.  It was nice to finally meet you, Victor."

"Likewise."  Victor said, shaking her hand.

Molly smiled at him one more time before stepping into the house and closing the door.

Victor walked off of the porch and climbed back into his car, his face covered with a big smile as well.  "Yes, Molly.  We will take you up on that offer soon, and when we do you'll wish you would've never been so kind to a stranger."