Chapter One

Asher POV

"Freak! "

"God's failure!"

"Pussy!"

       These phrases circle around and around my head. My bed feels cold, my head thick against my rock of a pillow. Sometimes, I feel like I really am a failure of God. Let me tell you it's not a good feeling. It makes me feel empty and worthless, like I wasn't meant to be on this Earth. Sometimes, I feel like I'm an alien from the planet Mars, dressed up in someone else's skin. Like a Halloween costume I can't get out of.

Standing up from bed, a wave of nausea roles over me. I fall back onto the plank of mattress I call a bed. Refusing to go back through that again, I reach for my phone and dial the school.

" Hello, this is Century High school. How can I be of assistance?"

" Hello, this is Kyle Meyers, my son isn't feeling to well and won't be coming in to school today."

"Thank you for calling yourself in Asher. Your excused for today, but this won't happen again."  I could just hear the office secretary roll her eyes. I chuckled, thanking her before hanging up.

Having friends in the school staff was great. Most of my actual friends tend to be adults, most of whom work at the high school.
They consist of: Ethyl, the librarian, Kyle, my Math teacher,  Adrian, my dad's managers son, and Rylyn, a random girl I met at the park when I was six.

I felt myself beginning to pass out and I let it overtake me, letting myself land in dreams of a God on earth.

                                                 ***
I heard a buzz, probably coming from my phone, but I ignored it not really wanting to get up. It continues to buzz again, and again, and again. I groaned and fumbled around for my phone.

"Two hundred and eighty messages really?"

" Where are you, jerkface! You left me all alone in our school of blockheads and bitches! I hate you! "

"Yeah, yeah, I know I love me too, and if you really don't want to be there that badly then why don't you just leave. Isn't that what you usually do?"

" Well, I guess, but, " She trailed off, leaving me to hear the nonsense of random words in the background.

"But?" I prompted her.

"But there's a really cute guy, that's in my math class, and I think I have a chance with him." I rolled my eyes, forcing myself out of bed. Rylyn often has a new crush every week, which she always could have a chance with, but doesn't because she's friends with me.

"Are you going to talk to him?"

"I did talk to him, his name is Troy, he's from the Bronks and he just recently moved into town..." She continued to rattle off his information. I felt like I was getting a background check I didn't ask for. I stumbled slightly down the stairs and into my kitchen.

"Asher? You still there?"

"Yeah, I'm still here, I just spaced off for a minute."

"What's on your mind? Is it Braden again?" I grinned at his name. She knew me too well.

"No, it's not the hottest human on the earth but more the fact that he's too scared to admit he's not straight."  Rylyn burst out laughing. "Alright, alright, I get he will never be gay, but still a guy can try can be not?"

"You are terrible my friend. Ugh, I keep waving the guy over and he keeps ignoring me."

"Who? Your new week long crush?" Rylyn cussed at me, I just chuckled at her sailor tongue.

"Troy? No, Adrian! I swear the boys dumber than a box of rocks!

"But Damn he is fine, isn't he?" She hummed in agreement.

"Are you going to the party on Halloween?"

"What would I go as, a straight guy, or should I go as a curved line?" I asked sarcastically, spreading on honey on my toast.

"Ha, ha, very funny. Are you coming or not?" Guinevere, my green eyed cat, cocked her head at me before sprinting up on to the counter. She scrubbed her head against my hand, licking at the honey on my thumb.

"Sure, your helping me find a costume though." I scooped the blue Persian into my arms, cuddling her into my chest. She meowed at me, purring gently.

"You don't need a costume. And I will not help you find one!"

"And why pray tell do I not need a costume?"

"Because you don't need one, can you come open your door it looks like it's going to rain. "

"You're here?"

"Yes! Now open the God damn door will you!?!"

"Fine, fine. Bye." I gently let Guinevere down on the couch, tossing my phone into the mass of pillows my mother kept on the ends. I popped open the lock and walked away, knowing damn well Rylyn would just all in.

"I'm here, you life just got better!" She popped the dollar of her leather jacket.

"Really, quoting Suit Life on Deck now are we?" I arched an eyebrow, grinning.

"You know it, babe!" She yelled winking.

"You're such an idiot."

"You know you love it!" I rolled my eyes but hugged her anyway.