Chapter Seventeen- Made It

Last Chapter!!!  Thank you so much for reading, voting, commenting, following me, and being there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jade:

"And now a speech from 2014's valedictorian, Jade Miller."

I walked up to the podium, heart pounding out of my chest, note cards in hand. I almost tripped in my light pink heels, which I wasn't like me. I usually walked with grace... Mostly. I was just so nervous. My hands shook as I spoke into the microphone.

"Hello." I said shakily, then cleared my throat. "Welcome to the today's commencement ceremonies." I paused, then continued. "Me, personally, I've only been going to this school for just a year. But I look back onto the past year, and I truly believe that I've made some of the best memories of my life. And truly, that is all life is. We have nothing without memories. They make up who we are, how we see this world." I paused, steadying my breathing. "We all remember different things. We remember how someone looked at us, what someone said, everything we remember is the reason why we act, why we do, why we survive. We look back into elementary school, our biggest memory could be what Jane said about our sweater. Our biggest problem was what too bring to our school lunch. We didn't remember much, then. We just remembered bits and pieces of our eight years. In middle school, we our biggest memory could be our first kiss, our first real cell phone, and it was just so new and shiny. Our biggest problem was losing our friends, or not having a big enough chest. But when we look back on high school, my friends, our biggest memory hasn't even been decided yet. We don't know what will stand out to us when we look back. Will it be freshman biology? Will it be when we fall in love for the first time? Will it be the cute exchange student? Will it be our first car? Or will it be something related to our stupid mistakes? The time that we stayed up too late before a test, or got wasted at a party? Will it be when we get heart broken? When we mouthed of to a teacher? But truly, it doesn't matter if our biggest memory is good or bad. Because it is the biggest for a reason. It impacted us to become who we are, and it will continue to impact our decisions fforever, as long as we breath. Memories are all we have. And when I look on high school, I know I will always cherish the memories that we have made."

Surprisingly, I made it through without stumbling over my words, and I got a loud round of applause. I smiled and walked away from the podium, heels clicking. I sat back down on my seat on the side of the stage, along with the principal and student council. Aisha, the council president, poked me in the side and smiled. "That was so great, Jade."

I smiled at her. "Thanks." Aisha was a tall, arabic girl that I'd never really talked to before. She was part of the preppy but nerdy crowd, and I was more.... I don't know.  A friend of a popular girl, I guess.

The ceremony contiuned and I found Aria in the front row. We were exchanging glances and sticking our tongues out at each other. They were pretty quick about it, and soon enough they called out:

"Jade Miller." I heard my family and my few friends cheer, but it was Aria who whistled and whooped as I rose and walked to the smiling principal who handed me my diploma and shook my hand. The photographer

"Congratulations." She smiled.

"Thanks." I responded, walking off the stage and sitting in the seat that was empty and waiting for me. I was done. I couldn't believe it. All the bullshit was over. After today, I didn't have to deal with Tayla, or the AV crew, or the creepy stoners in the hallways. I couldn't help but grin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aria:

I was seated with Fletcher and the entire ceremony I couldn't look at him. When we stood to stand in the line, I wanted to say something to him. I was about to tap his shoulder, when they called out:

"Fletcher Peirce." A huge group of boys and girls whooped. I cheered too. I heard a lot of "GO FLETCHER!" as he walked across the stage.

My heart pounded as they called out; "Aria Peters!"

I stepped up the steps, and my gold strappy heels clacked loudly. I did hear a lot of applause, but it was a bit mute. I heard a few cheers and someone shouted 'GO GET 'EM, ARI!"

I shook the Mrs. Zaminsky's hand, then walked off the stage, returning to my seat. Before I let my self chicken out, I did it. I tapped Fletcher's shoulder.

As he turned to me, I met his lips with mine. The first kiss we'd shared in exactly one year. His lips felt exactly the same. He smelled the same. But something was different. When we kissed, I felt a man's lips, not a spoiled little boy. He'd changed, changed so much. But I had to. I pulled away and looked up at me. People right around were staring, looking confused.

"Look, Fletcher. This is the most awkward thing that I've had to do. But I think I still love you. When you are around, my heart skips a beat or two, and I can't help but roll my eyes to hide my smile. I want to be mad at you, but can't. I just love you so much."

He held my face in his hands and smiled. "Ari, you don't know how happy I am that you feel that way. Because I feel exactly the same way. I was such a stupid little idiot to do what I did. I loved you so much that I couldn't think straight. I had to convince myself that a girl couldn't do something to me, Fletcher Pierce. So I wouldn't let you change me. But if you can take me back, I won't disappoint you."

"I know you won't." I kissed him again quickly, then took his hand. We sat like that for the rest of the ceremony. When it was over, we all threw up our hats and cheered, and screamed and cried, and couldn't believe that it was all over.

It was a blur of commotion, that day. I gave so many hugs, took so many pictures, said so many goodbyes. I can't sum it all up, in a way that will make you understand what it was like to be done.

Most people graduate from hell. I graduated from that too, of course. But I felt like I was graduating from my life. Before that day, I never understood why people called high school the glory years. The teachers sucked, the bathrooms stank, the work was too hard, and it was hell trying to put up with the idiots we're was surrounded by. But what it made the glory years wasn't even connected to school. It was the parties. The sports. But more than those, the community. I can't say that I wasn't happy to leave people like Tayla behind. But I would always miss the days when I had Jade, Fletcher, Rosalie, Spencer, Shawn, and I could love all of them. Some things just don't work out. But sometimes, its for the best.

Tayla ended up ditching college and using her parents money to start her own fashion line in Paris. She never got married or even got a real boyfriend. She did have a daughter when she was 20, though. Taylar, I think. So I guess she got what she wanted, and I am honestly happy for her.

Shawn got what he deserved, though. He didn't get into college, and his family lost there house. Last I heard, he had developed an addiction to alcohol, and was living with a few of his uncles in a run down trailer park. I guess being a douche-bag doesn't pay.

Spencer graduated with a 4.0 GPA, and ended up going to Stanford. He didn't end up with Rosalie, and I heard he's getting pretty serious with a British chick named Mallory. He did pretty well for himself.

Rosalie ended up completely average. She went to Arizona State, and she had a few boyfriends. When she graduated with a degree in graphic design, she spent a few years job hopping before she got a serious one. I guess even though we technically ruined her sophomore year, she got over it.

Jade and Fletcher and I all went to the same college, coincidentally. We went to Emory University. I got a BS in nursing, Fletcher ended  up going on a partial athletic scholarship, and Jade, the little genius, majored in psychics.

Fletcher and I are still together, for all those who care. And Jade did end up with my brother, crazily enough. They maintain a mainly long distance relationship. I guess everyone turned out pretty well.

Jade was right. All we had was memories. I had a blur of memories, some were happy, others were sad. But my defining memory can be described in two words. Fletcher Pierce.