8

Anya bade farewell to the maid, tightening the seaweed green cashmere shawl around her torso. She stood on the main doorstep, waiting for the arrival of her parents and Taylor.

A chill rose in the air. The evening wind blew dried leaves and scattered them across the dew-coated lawn. Water from a sudden drizzle formed dots on the threshold. Anya stepped back, sighing.

It has to be the rush hour, or they'd be home already. When she exhaled, foggy air came out of her mouth. Phone in hand, she decided to ring her mother when car headlights caught her attention.

Anya straightened her posture.

Her parents stepped out together with bags in hand. Taylor, the phone near her ear, made a wait sign.

"What's the hurry, Anya and why are you wearing so much makeup at this hour?" Madiha asked.

"Stay in the living room. I'll explain everything."

Shutting the door after Taylor entered the house, Anya served them a warm hot chocolate. Sitting on the couch by the fireplace, they all relaxed after a tiring day at work.

"This is pleasing. Did you make it?" Anwar asked.

"Yes, I found the recipe in an old cookery book."

"You made us some delicious hot chocolates, lit the fireplace, two scented candles, cinnamon and vanilla, which are your father's and my favourite. You need something, don't you?" Madiha concluded.

Taylor attempted to stifle a laugh and affirmed, "Can't beat mom's intuition."

Glimpsing at the large metal wall clock, Anya switched the TV on. She stopped at the specific channel and faced them.

"Okay, it's almost time. I have something to inform you all."

"Is it about a podcast?" Her mother asked.

"You knew."

Taylor explained, "The young side at the office, under thirty, are all talking about it. That's how they found out."

"You didn't bother to enlighten us," Madiha stated.

"Consider that podcast as an interview for all my future jobs. I've decided not to work with you two and do something else instead. Don't laugh, or I will cry."

After two Halloween promo ads came the Bella Strides ad. Her mother sat straighter while her father furrowed his eyebrows.

A wide grin spread on Taylor's face as she exclaimed, "Shut up, you did not."

"Is that Sean, the boy who drove me to the airport?" Madiha asked.

"Yes, since I've gone viral online, this ad is step one or two, you can say. Let's count the podcast toward a new career. Did you like it?"

"You sure look beautiful on TV," Madiha praised.

"Dad"

"I'm still processing. Is this your plan - advertisements for TV?"

"It's a start. It could get bigger in the future."

"If you're happy, we're happy for you. Another heartbroken bride would have gone downhill. You have chosen to step on the ladder of success. Now, what is it that you want?"

Anya took a deep breath and replied, "I need an assistant."

Taylor became the centre of attention. Her lips parted, staring at a hopeful Anya.