Chapter 8

Chapter 8

As I take a step towards him, “please don’t hurt me!” he whimpers in fear, as he tried to climb the mounting only succeeding in hurting himself more. While I was thinking about protection him, I hadn’t realized that my face became set in a mask of anger and rage. As I lower myself to the ground I left go of the anger I am feeling and try and project a calm façade. “I wont hurt you lil one,” I whisper to him as I take a small step towards him. He seems to calm down a bit but he still doesn’t release the wall. “Who did this to you?” I ask, but as soon as I ask him that he starts to freak out even worse than before. “No you can’t take us back their, I wont let you, we would rather die than go back to that place!” he shouts, ‘us’ I think before he once again he tries to climb the mountain. He doesn’t make it more that a foot before he falls back down and whimpers in pain. “Shhh, shhh, lil one I won’t take you back to that place, I promise” I tell him with as much conviction as I can. “You wont?” he questions me confused, “but I thought you always had to take us back to the pack we run away from?”

“Who told you that nonsense?” I ask him confused before it all clicks. “Your alpha told you that if you ran away the other packs would take you back to him, didn’t he?” I ask getting mad but trying not to let it show, he just nods his head in fear. “No, no lil one if you don’t want to go back, I won’t make you. You can stay with me instead if you want.” I’m so hoping he decides to stay with me so I can protect him and find out who would dare lay a hand on him and make them pay.

If theirs one thing I can’t stand is adults hitting a child or mistreating a child in anyway. “You would let us stay with you?” He asks with what looks like hope starting to show in his face. “Yes pumpkin I would let u guys stay with me,” who else is he talking about I wonder, not for the first time. As he stands their thinking about it I sit down to let him now that I will not push him or force him to choose me. After a couple of minutes of me sitting and staring at the sky while still keeping an ear out incase danger should come he speaks and when he speaks he shocks me. “Okay, we will come with you but only if you help me find my siblings and let them come with us as well!” He tells me while watching my reaction. If I wasn’t a master as hiding my emotions he would have seen me with my jaw dropping and a look of shock on my face.

“How many siblings do we need to look for?” I ask

“2” he says not volunteering any more information than that. I admire the fact that even though I’m helping him he is still being cautious with me. I can’t help but be proud that he has some faith in me but he is not willing to trust me until I prove myself to him. “Is one of you siblings a girl and possibly hurt?” I ask while thinking of the she-wolf scent Elliot’s patrol party found. When I say this panic comes into his little face, “yes my sister was hurt, not as bad as me but still pretty bad.” He answers me while trying to get past me to go find her. Before he can get past me I stand up and speak, “when I shift into my wolf I want you to get on my back and hold on tight, it’s going to be a bumpy ride,” I tell him before shifting right in front of him.

While I stand their waiting for him to get on, he does nothing but stand their and look at me. So slowly I walk up to him measuring it step before I take it, making sure he is not afraid of me. When I finally reach him I bump his chest with my nose and turn to my side, after a second he gets the hint and hesitantly gets on my back and just sits their tense as if waiting for me to buck him off. Again I wonder what he went tru at the hands of his tormentor/s. when I finally feel him relax a bit and hold on I take of like the wind in the direction that Nate and Elliot where running to. As I run in that general direction I catch their scent as well as the unknown scent. When I start to get closer to were the scent it coming from I can hear whimpering and growls coming from in front of us. When we first hear the whimper I can feel the pup start to tense up again, so I take that as a sign that I need to push myself faster.

            When I finally see Nate and the rest of the patrol I don’t stop running, I run faster than I ever thought I could and jump over them before landing in front of the cowering girl and turning to face the pack. While I face the pack I feel the pup jump of my back and run to the terrified girl. “Sis, sis it’s me, sis can you hear me?” He asks all the while slowly walking towards her so as not to scare her. It’s at this very moment that I decided that no matter what I would give my life to protect this little one and his siblings.