Chapter 2

Blaze's POV

     I fly recklessly through the air. It's not like anyone else can fly this high. Most every dragon isn't strong enough to go at this altitude, and even though I'm a runt, being royal blood has its perks. So in other words, I didn't pay attention to my surroundings.

     I fly to my left. If I go West from the castle, about 25 miles down that way, is a mountain with a pretty neat cave in it. It's part of the territory that my father hasn't claimed. He said it's not worth taking over. From what I understand, it's just an area that no one really cares for. I've never been past my mountain, and I don't really know what's on the other side.

     I get to the opening of the cave and land gracefully. The perks of having a smaller frame are that I can be more agile with my movements. I fold my wings to my sides and shift back into my two-legged form. I stand on shaky feet for a few minutes, not moving until I get my land legs back. I don't shift a lot, so I'm not as used to it.

    When I feel like I'm steady, I head deeper into the cave. I relax as the idle water-dropping noise from the stones. I assume there is a sort of groundwater deposit on the surface, but either way, it relaxes me. Soon, the daylight gets dimmer. I blink my eyes, my night vision activating. Heading deeper into the cave, I come to the waterfall.

     It's absolutely beautiful.

     The waterfall still flows as fast as the day I found it. That was about 14 years ago, I'm 18 now. I shifted for the first time at 4. It was a traumatic time for me, and I forced myself to change. That's a story for another day though.

     My daze is broken though when I hear a loud roar outside. It makes the ground shake around me, some dikes falling to the ground. I shield myself, only getting a few cuts. I quickly shift to my dragon form and slink out of the cave to see what is going on.

     When I do, a fucking huge dragon pops in front of me. I hiss and lunge at him, making us both fall down the mountain. I open my wings to try and fly away, but they get clipped on a tree branch. I shriek at the pain. I feel my wings rip, just enough to affect my flying.

     The other dragon, clearly older and more experienced, opens his wings and quickly take us both in air. The other dragon is carrying me by biting into my side, which hurts a lot. My scales are sharp and strong, but the other dragons teeth are like needles, piercing through my scales. I shriek and roar out loud, hoping to draw attention, but no one is around, and the grip on my side tightens.

     I wince at the pain and quiet down. The dragon starts to fly to the ground, throwing me down upon the grass, ripping the green substance underneath me. I lay limply on the ground.

     "Who are you?" I shiver at the voice, my inner dragon longing to hear more. The voice sounds so deep and strong.

    "Blaze.." I say quietly, trying to regain my breath.

    "Where did you come from?" He asks me. I panic for a moment, not knowing what to tell him. If I tell him I came from the Castle of Drekkana, he'd kill me or something.

     "I'm from Drekkana," I say, not giving him the full story. I look up at the form that towers over mine. His scales are a beautiful crimson red, with some golden flecks sprinkled in. The dragon has many spikes running down his spine and tail. Three massive horns adorn his face. One of the snout and two above his eyes. Two great, powerful wings are folded against his side.

     Whenever I focus back on his face, he seems to be looking at me too.

     "Well, you seem to be my mate, so you aren't from Drekkana anymore."

End of Chapter