5 - Bitter-Sweet

(Hunter's POV)

I stood up from the bed, walked over to the door, and opened the door. It was my parents.

"Hey, Hunter," Mom greeted, "Is Ryder up yet?"

I smiled. "Yeah, wanna finally meet her?"

"Of course."

I moved out of the doorway, and let them in. I looked over at Ryder. She was forcing a smile. I could tell she was nervous. Dad introduced himself and Mom.

"Hello, Ryder. I'm Leo and this is my wife, Lynette," he said, reaching out his hand.

Ryder hesitated for a moment, then she shook his hand. Then, Mom shook her hand. I sat down on the bed next to her. My Dad asked Ryder about herself.

"So, where are you from, Ryder?"

I looked at her to see what the answer was, even though I already knew it. As soon as I saw her face, I knew she was scared. After a small time of silence, I spoke up.

"I don't think she's ready to talk to anybody else, yet. She's still kinda getting over the incident from last week."

My parents looked at Ryder understandingly.

"We get it, honey. We all know how hard going through something like that must be for you. So, we'll give you your time," Mom informed.

Mom and Dad turned and made thier way out the door. Just before Mom closed it, she looked at me.

"Remember what me and your Father told you, okay?"

"Okay."

I would rather not remember that whole conversation.

Then, she closed the door. Ryder looked up at me with her dark blue eyes, puzzled.

"What the whole 'remember what me and your Father told you' thing about?"

"Nothing," I replied, a little too quick.

I could tell she wasn't buying it.

"Hunter." She looked at me with pleading eyes.

There was no way she was going to buy any excuse I came up with. I had already messed that up, and plus, she's not exactly stupid. But, my parents had told me not to tell her yet. They wanted to give her some time before dropping the bomb.

Gee, thanks Mom, you sure made it easy to hide it from her now.

"Well, while you were 'asleep', my parents were talking to the adoption agency..."

"Yes, come on, you started it, now you have to finish it."

"Alright, just don't tell them I told you. You're not supposed to know."

Ryder nodded.

"Well, apparently, you have an Aunt Kari in Nashville and since she's your last known living realitive, you are-are," I started to choke up. There was no easy way to tell her this. We just met, but we are so attached. I wasn't sure I could tell her that she had to let go. 

I don't think I... can let her go.

She started to rub my back as I started to get teary eyed and started to cry.

"I am what?" she asked.

I managed to stop crying just long enough to get the horrible words out.

"You-you are g-going t-to live wi-with her."

I turned to look at her. Her eyes were wide and her breathing started to quicken. She started to cry, and I joined her. The next thing I knew, she was in my arms and we were lying together on the bed, curled up with each other. Her head was on my chest and she was asleep.

Who knew a girl could look so beautiful while she's sleeping.

I couldn't help but think about how much I like her. Everything she does is fascinating to me.

Her personality, the way she asks so many questions, the way she talks. Oh Lordy! I'm not fallin' for her am I? That's impossible! I've only known her for about a week, and I don't know that much about her past except for a few childhood memories. But, at the same time, you don't need to know a person for that long or know that much about them to fall in love.

"Ryder just can't know."

"She can't know what?"

I looked around the room to see who said it. My eyes stopped at my door. I didn't notice she'd even come in. I hesitated before opening my big mouth.

"That I like her."

My mom chuckled. "Of course you like her, otherwise you guys wouldn't like being around each other and she wouldn't be sleeping with her head on your chest."

"It's not that kind of like. It's the 'I want to date this person' kind of like."

She looked surprised. "Oh. So, you don't want her to know."

"No. I don't think it'd be a good thing if she found out. It wouldn't even work out if she found out and we started dating anyway. She's moving to Nashville next month, if you haven't forgotten," I said bitterly.

 "Hunter," mom said sternly.

"Sorry, I just don't know how I'm gonna get through the rest of the school year without her after she leaves. You know how rough the past few years have been. I had no friends. I was an outcast. I had no place. Then Ryder came along and finally gave me what I was missing, and so much more. What am I gonna do when she's gone, Mama?" Yes, at 16, I still say 'Mama'.

Mom walked over to me and gave me a kiss on the top of the head.

"It'll be okay. You guys still have a month together before she moves in with her aunt. You should make this month one for the record books. Make every day seem like the last one you have with her. It'll make it more enjoyable and someday you'll be able to look back on this next month and smile."

"Thanks Mom." I looked up at her and smiled. She gave me another kiss on the head and turned around to leave.

(Ryder's POV)

He like-likes me? He like-likes me!

I had been pretending to sleep and ended up hearing the whole conversation. It was a bitter-sweet conversation, but I just couldn't get over the fact that he actually likes me. I'm happy about that, but upset about the fact that we only have a month left together. It makes me want to curl up in a ball and die just thinking about it. I can't stand the thought of having to let him go.

I can't let go, and I'm never going to be able to. The way he talks, the way he smiles, the way he hugs, the way he comforts...Oh Lord! What am I gonna do? I don't know if I'm gonna last without him.

Once this month is over, there's no reason for me to stay. My parents are dead, my uncle scarred me both physically and emotionally, my best friend will be in a completely different state, I'm always bullied at school no matter what one I go to.

That's it. The night before I move to Nashville, I'm done with life. All the pain will be gone, and so will I.

A/N: I felt really upset after writing this chapter. I almost cried writing the end. Anyway, please tell me what you think and give me some ideas on what you want to happen next. I really want you guys to be enveiled. After all, I'm writing this story for you, aren't I?

                                               -Kat