Part 3

I jolted awake at this memory. My eyes searched for the glowing numbers in my dark room. 3:27. I got up and changed into something decent. I probably wouldn't be getting much sleep, so I went to the 24 hour coffee shop down the road. I sat in one of the booths and ordered a cup of black coffee. I remained there for about an hour. It was coming of 4:30 now. I decided I best be getting back. I didn't really try to be quiet when I came in. The house was silent and dimly lit. I snuck past Julia's room and made it safely back into my room. I stared at my suitcase. I groaned at the thought of all the unpacking I had to do when the sun came up. Since I had nothing else to do until the morning actually came, I tried to fall asleep again. After a few minutes, I got lucky.

*********************************************************

I put my head to his chest and felt the even beats of his heart. The steady breathing was surprisingly calming.

"Opal?" he whispered, as not to disturb me.

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

I smiled. I would have answered, but I was far too tired to speak.

*********************************************************

"Opal?"

"What, Joel?" I asked in a dazed voice.

"Joel? I'm not Joel, you idiot. I'm Julia. Get up. I want you to meet someone."

"Who?" I sat up, groggy. I moaned internally and looked up at Julia. Her light brown hair was straightened and hung to a little past her shoulders. She waited impatiently for me to wake up. I changed out of my clothes (which I found out didn't match, but that's what you get for changing in the dark) and into a light orange tank top and a pair of khaki shorts that went to my mid-thigh. I went into the kitchen and grabbed a bowl of cereal. It was technically lunch time, but I honestly didn't care.

"Hi there girls! How did you sleep?" Iris said as she made herself a cup of coffee.

"Fine," we said in unison.

"That's good. Any plans today, Julia?" Iris asked her.

"I am taking Opal to see a friend," she said in her bored voice.

"Have fun. Be back before curfew."

Julia nodded silently and headed out the front door. We went to the shed and grabbed the beach cruisers. Two blocks away, there was a pale yellow house with a pink trim.

A girl with bouncy red hair came towards us.

"Hey, your Opal, right?" the red haired girl said after hugging Julia. I nodded.

"I'm Lilianne. Nice to meet you!" she exclaimed. I smiled a little so I wouldn't scare her away. I have been distant for a while and people don't take to me the way they used to. She smiled and skipped back inside. Her crazy hair and freckles was a good match to her personality. She came out moments later with a bowl of cookies and a boy.

"Opal, this is my twin brother," Lilianne smiled again. I chuckled at the word "twin".

First of all, they looked nothing alike. Her tight curls were the color of carrots and ginger, laid on her shoulders. His hair was somewhat short and deep, rich black. The only thing they shared was their big green eyes and their smile (although Lilianne flashed hers much more often than he). Second, their disposition was completely different. Lilianne was very outgoing and her twin was reserved and shy.

"Hi, um...?"

"Max," he finished for me. I smiled. I liked his quiet voice. I didn't notice that Julia and Lilianne had gone inside. I saw a freckled face peek through the blinds and smile but quickly disappeared when I glanced in her direction.

"Do you, uh, want to go inside?" he offered.

"Sure," I smiled again. What was with me?

Inside, Julia and Lilianne retired to her room, leaving me alone with Max.

"I'll give you the tour of the house," he said, "kitchen bathroom, Lil's room, my parents room, and finally, my room." He led me to a small cluttered space. I peered around and sighed.

"Sorry it's a little messy. Is something wrong?" Max asked, suddenly aware of my sad exhale.

"No, I'm fine," I lied. I hoped my traitor tears wouldn't brim over, but you don't call them traitor for nothing.

I never, ever cry in front of any one, let alone someone who've I've only known for five minutes. He stood there, probably freaking out inside at my breakdown. Instead of asking stupid questions that he already knew the answer to, like "Are you ok?" and "How are you?". He pulled me into an embrace. He held me for what felt like ages.

"Sorry," I looked down at his drenched shirt. His eyes found what I was referring to.

"Oh," he chuckled. I made an attempt to smile while wiping a stray tear from my cheek.

"Hey, Max?" Lilianne called from the hallway.

"Yeah?"

"Is Opal in there with you?"

"I'm here," I replied shakily.

"Ok!" I heard her soft footsteps walk back into her room.

I turned back around to face this beautiful boy.

"Well," Max looked around the room awkwardly. My eyes were drawn to the massive pile of DVD's. I saw the title Titanic.

"You have the Titanic?" I raised my eyebrows in shock.

"Yeah," he said sheepishly, "Christmas present from Lil."

"Have you watched it?"

"Not yet," he laughed quietly/

"You want to?"

"What?"

"Watch."

"Uh..."

"Come on! I haven't seen it!" I cried.

"Alright," he said reluctantly.

Letters from me:

You want in on a little secret?

comment and suggest, and i might just continue this. i have no feedback from you guys!

Help me out here!!