Chapter Nineteen: Fragile

Start from the beginning

Once either was clean I shoved my hand into the sweater I was wearing, thankful it was black. I cradled the material over the wound to stop blood from leaking everywhere. I desperately tried to find the kitchen or a bathroom to get a sink, or even a hose to wash my cut.

It was a lot deeper than I had thought, and more and more blood stained the sweater, making it heavy. Finally I spotter the kitchen and turned on the tap, leaving a blood stain on the handle. I eased my bad hand up the the water, knowing it would hurt. I bit my lip as I prepared myself.

The second I put my hand under the stream, the skin peeled back from the pressure, making me cry out louder than I thought. I bit the neckline of the sweater, ready to try again at a different angle, as blood kept rushing out.

"Calla?" I heard Percyus's voice call out. "Calla, where are you?"

"In the kitchen." I called out shakily.

"I can smell blood," he said frantically, practically sliding into he room. He ran to me with almost supersonic speed. "What happened?"

"I helped that man you told me, but I had left the med bay a mess. I accidentally- no I purposely fell asleep but I had forgot and I'm sorry- without cleaning the bay. So I went back to clean it, but this man came in and scared me because I thought it was empty and I cut myself. But he forced me to leave before I could clean up the rest of the mess. I promise I'll do it later." I said, rushing out the last part as some sort of consolation for what I'd done.

He grabbed my hand gently, "I don't care, you don't have to clean up that mess. We have to clean up your hand thought, you need stitches."

He tugged me back towards the med wing, "Come on."

I argued, "He kicked me out we can't go back in, he wasn't happy, he thought I was stealing."

"Yeah well, he's a jerk and everyone knows it. He'll get over it." Percyus rolled his eyes.

He slammed opened the door to the room I had been in, nearly making the man fall off of his chair. "Landon, don't be an ass for like, five minutes and help her get stitched up."

He pulled me from behind him where I had been hiding. I just put my head down. I still had my bad hand tucked in the front of the shirt, but used my free one to pull on his wrist, "It'll be fine, I can go without the stitches, he's busy."

"He just got back from vacation, he's anything but busy." Percyus snorted.

The doctor gave him a look, "She got my sink all bloody."

I jumped in, "I'm so sorry, I'll clean it up." I stepped forward and started to make my way to the sink when Percyus's hand pulled me back with a hand around my midsection.

"It's fine," He whispered to me, his grip loosening immediately, to not make it feel like he was restraining me.

He doctor huffed, "Sit on this chair and put your hand here." He pointed at a small table.

I did as told, looking at Percyus with wide, frightened eyes. I had never gotten stitches before, only administered them whenever the doctors were away and someone got hurt. He gave me a weak smile, not reaching his eyes. I then remembered what Lorenzo had said about him being fragile.

     I looked down as the man pulled at my sleeve, luckily the one without the scratch marks. He produced a needle from a drawer and unwrapped it from its sterile package. He got out the dissolvable thread and started to work. My heart pounded as I waited for the pain.

     The needle pierced my skin, digging deep into my flesh and under, back o it the other side. I bit my lip in pain, feeling tears well up in my eyes. I hated that I was such a baby to pain now that I wasn't used to a punch in the face every time I misstepped.

     He tied the knot on the top, then moved on to do the second one. Percyus glanced at me, then to the doctor before stepping forward and taking my free hand into his own. I felt my eyes widen, this time however not in fear.

     I felt like a magnet, immediately connecting with him. I just wanted to wrap my arms around him and never let go. I hated how slutty my thoughts were but I couldn't stop them. My pain was completely forgotten about as I was so entranced just by the mere touch.

     Before I knew it the doctor was done. He huffed, "Uh, hello? Will you two get your head out of the clouds, please? I'm done. Now get out of my office." Our hands disconnected.

     I didn't know how he could ever talk like that to his Alpha and his king without punishment. It almost seemed unfair. I did feel a slight twinge of fear for his sake, my heart urging for him to shut up and not get himself into more trouble. However, with one flick of his hand, he shooed us out of the room.

     Once we were down the hall and away from his ears, I spoke up, "How can he talk to you like that without getting punished for disrespect?" I said it like it was a secret, quiet and careful.

      Percyus tried to laugh, but it wouldn't reach his pained eyes. "He's my cousin, he thinks he can do whatever the hell he wants, so I let him think that to make him feel good about himself."

     I attempt a smile, however it falls, "Oh."

     "Are you ready for bed? It's too early to be up." He said, suppressing a yawn.

     I just nod, knowing I won't be punished for a nonverbal answer at this pack. I hadn't been inducted yet, and the negative part in my brain kept telling me that it was because they were going to send me back to my old pack.

     I pushed the thoughts away as we walked into the joined rooms, him immediately sitting on the bed, legs sprawled on the floor. He put his face in his hands and groaned before dragging them down his face. He looked up at me, awkwardly standing there, "Goodnight, Calla."

     That was all I needed to scramble into my room and close the door almost all the way. He seemed cranky, like he didn't want to deal with me, I know I could get annoying at times. Though I still remembered what Lorenzo had said and put a small piece of the blame on that. But he was probably just uptight because I was a pest.

     I got back into bed, tucking my body up go generate heat, as the medical wing wasn't that warm. I let out a sigh and rolled over onto my side, staring at the wall with only one painting on it. It depicted a man and a woman, both facing away from each other but their hands were still interlocked.

     I wondered what it meant and why they chose to put it in here, but nonetheless brushed it off as I realized I was supposed to be sleeping. I heard a shuffling noise from Percyus's room. I strained my ears to listen to the quiet shuffles, wondering what he was doing.

     I nearly jumped out of the bed when a loud bang sounded as he no doubt kicked something. I heard him swear, cussing under his breath every imaginable word I could think of and a few I didn't know.

     Then I heard him address the moon goddess. That's when I pulled a pillow over my head and turned away, knowing that was too private for my eavesdropping ears. I wondered what he was telling her. I had the faint urge to listen, but my head told me to keep the pillow over my ears and just drift off to sleep..

     I did just that thing.

~~~

Thank you for reading!

~~~